Well made sterling DI found at flea market today

Tonomachi

This is the only piece of militaria that I found this morning at the flea market. I don't know if this is considered a patch type DI as it has something to do with the 3rd Corps. It is well made in that it has one of those pins that only opens up half way and is made of sterling. Most of the patch type DIs I've come across are not sterling and am not familiar with the manufacturer logo of I think J O.

post-1389-0-27110200-1388205289.jpg

I checked and old Trading Post on the "JO" hallmark. It says unknown.

I'll take a guess on the identification as III Corps Artillery. Nothing more than a guess.

I checked and old Trading Post on the "JO" hallmark. It says unknown.

I'll take a guess on the identification as III Corps Artillery. Nothing more than a guess.

Yes that would be my guess too ithaca, the old HQ HQ Battery III Corps Artillery DI, this one being a late 40s-early 50s period one due to the hallmark, maybe even late WWII-Immediate Post War.

See the current III Corps Arty DI.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=3245&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

The maker mark is double stamped.

Yeah we're seeing that now, the shield very very faintly, while the G in Sterling is deep with the rest of the word faint like the shield, good eye manay.

My understanding is that the hallmark is for J O Brian. The marking can be found on WW2 vintage USN/Marine wings/badges/etc.

Re the DUIs, I have the same in red (nhm, probably early post-war based on the finish/hardware) and one in yellow with red III (with a post-war IE marking).

Regards

Mike

• 5 years later...

I know this topic was from a long time ago, but in an effort not to duplicate, I have a two sets of these that came from a WWII vet. One is like this one, the other three are unmarked. Can anyone validate these Red III Corps DIs were in fact used for the III Corps HQ Artillery Battery? And if so, I don't know much about the Corps level, what would a Artillery Battery do at that level?

• 3 weeks later...

It was thought for many years that the J/O backmark was that of J. OBrien, with no real proof other then tribal knowledge.

A few years ago, a fellow collector finally found a J/O piece on an original card solving the mystery.

J/O is Josiah Odence.

John

Ps: this was written up in the wing forum.

post-12439-0-19367600-1550690609_thumb.jpeg