Possible gulf war M3 knife ?

matty

Got it on eBay. There was no mention of the paper piece. The handle had not been off this knife in a long time. Green paint and dirt had the grips almost welded shut. Matty

I took the knife to my neighbor who served in the first gulf war. He said it was not uncommon to see conversions like this in Iraq. He said allot of guys purchased, brought or made their own combat or utility knives since they were only issued a bayonet. He said the use of green camo paint convinces him it was used in Iraq. He showed me his issued bayonet which was an M7. We compared his M7 to the combat knife and figured the knife was probably made from an M4 bayonet not an M7.

Well it's a cool knife no matter where it came from. Matty

A few years ago, someone was selling those on Gunbroker for very reasonable prices. I bought three for 33.00 plus shipping. I kept one "original", sold one to a fellow soldier, and put a set of knucks on the other. They didn't come with scabbards so I found M8A1 scabbards for them as they didn't quite fit the M10 due to the bend in the guard. They were very well made and well worth what I paid for them. I'll post pictures later.

OLD SARGE- Thanks for posting. Had not seen any of these. I like the M3. Was the pommel stamped w/ the Ordinance Bomb, when you purchased yours? I'd say mystery solved. Wish I had seen these, I'd have bought some too. SKIP

SKIP

No, there was no Ordinance Bomb, there is, however, defaced M3 markings on the guard. I'm not sure what they are or were intended to be. They are well made though. After I received them I found it hard to believe they sold so cheap. I made most of my money back on the one I sold. I also don't understand why someone doesn't make an M3. I bought them around 08-09 maybe?

Merry Christmas y'all!

Ron

DRE66- Ontario made all those repro blade -dated leather handled M3s, imagine they'd have enough left over parts from those, and their M7 contracts to come up with something neat. SKIP

Wow that helps some. This knife has the ordinance bomb on the cap and the guard has no markings. Looked at it real close. It never had any markings on the guard . Still a minor mystery. Matty

Old Sarge, you think you could send close up pics of your m3 especially with the grips off and your end cap so we can see if they are constructed the same? Matty

That guard looks to be an "Aerial", only because of the amount of letters, though maybe an Imperial. I'm still leaning towards a real M3, or at least the parts made by someone. Just don't know about the lightening cuts on the tang. Could have been an M4 blade. Imperial did make M3/M4 knives (M4 guard, leather handle, M3 pommel) This is cool. THX for the pics Matty. SKIP