Possible gulf war M3 knife ?

matty

Picked up this M3 style knife with green camo paint on scabbard and knife. Most of paint has worn off knife. When I removed the grips found a small piece of paper inside with "sgt T. Strawn 173rd AB". Mattypost-93981-0-94509400-1387660272.jpg

Matty- This looks like a legit M3, where the leather handle probably deteriorated. The leather was removed, two holes drilled, and a set of M4 grips were added.. The blade has a 90 degree back cut, guard looks good, and I saw the Ordinance stamp on the pommel. The M10 scabbard could have been matched up any time. I have an Imperial M3, w/ very marginal leather handle that I have often thought about doing this to. I like it. SKIP

I would love for it to be a legitimate m3 but I don't think it is. When you take off the grips there is a steel bar holding the guard in place like a plastic handle m4 or m7 bayonet. There also is no maker mark on blade or guard. My guess is it is either an M3 made in Vietnam with a real M3 cap and an M4 or M7 blade or a gulf war product made from an M7 bayonet. If it is a real M3 then someone cut a slot for the metal "u" shaper bar to hold on the guard in place. I guess they could have done this to an M3 so the guard would be tight. Matty

I have never disassembled an original M3, but suspect they had a retaining bar, but I honestly don't know. Have never seen it discussed, If they did have one, did all the companies install them? Interesting! Never even thought about it. SKIP

The small holes are bigger on the knife then the M4 pictured. They appear to have been hand drilled or made bigger. Have no idea how end cap got on there. I suspect this knife was made in Vietnam from an M4 bayonet and someone had an M3 cap they attached to it. The cap appears to be original to the handle which makes no since. Matty

Have looked at every grip and handle variation on M4, M7 and M3 knives and bayonets. I think it is an M4 plastic handle bayonet that a soldier has placed an M3 type guard and M3 cap on. From the looks of it and from the name I found under the grip I think it was used in Iraq or Afganistan . Who ever did the work knew what they were doing and did and outstanding job making the knife. Matty

Matty- Did you buy it on ebay, or from a dealer at a store? The name on the paper in the handle is interesting. Why put your name on a piece of paper, when you can just scratch it, or your initials on the inside of the handles. Making it more permanent, and no chance of destroying it when wet. Plus, I could see a guy adding a little more info besides name and 173rd ABN. A guy in an airborne unit would put "ABN" not "AB". Was it advertised w/ the paper in the handle? Just me thinking out loud. Not critical. SKIP