Tank Destroyer Unit Flag

tigerfan

Found this today in an antique collectible shop. Unit guidon for company A of the 666th tank destroyer bn. This flag saw heavy use as you can see from the photos. I'll bet somewhere someone has a unit photo of this company and shows this flag.

post-2609-0-76478000-1387317449.jpg

post-2609-0-22825100-1387317462.jpg

http://www.tankdestroyer.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=302:666th-tank-destroyer-battalion&catid=43:battalions600s&Itemid=101

Unit History: Formed on May 15, 1943, at Camp Hood, TX. Unit was deactivated on Mar. 25, 1944, at Camp Bowie, TX, and redesignated as the 427th Armored Field Artillery Battalion.

Combat Equipment: N/A

Commanding Officers: Major Walter S. Mullins

Code Name/s: N/A

Campaign Credits: Continental U.S. Service Only

Awards: None

tank destroyer

VERY NICE!!! My grandfather was in company c 644th td . I would love to find their company guidon. Marty

• 4 weeks later...

Had little chat with a 94 year gentleman this morining . He was a driver of a M10 during the war. Wish I could put his name up here but Hippa laws prevent me from doing so. He was suprised that I knew what a M10 and M18 was. He told me a couple of little funny stories but wouldn't talk about anything else . Didn't get a chance to ask what outfit he belonged to due time . First time I ever met a gentleman from the tank destroyers.

• 11 months later...

Guess its okay to post this now. I wanted this flag, and while the opening bid scared me away, I guess someone else disagreed. Congrats to whomever won it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/666-Tank-Destroyer-A-Co-Guidon-Original-/191479358182?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=vM2b0tVNwS0mQYAaw6R4nhx48hA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What a nice guidon to have found. I have a set from the 706 Tank Destroyer BN. It includes the guidons from Headquarters, A, B, C, and Medical. Same color and size but the differences include the outline of the half track is hand sewn and also outlined is the tracks, front tire, the gun and the individual rivets. The 706 never went overseas maybe that's why the whole set stayed together since the Second World War.