Attached Images

• Scan_0005 (2).jpg

#177 Bearmon

Bearmon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 582
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

USS Orleans Parish MCS 6 from 1959 to 1966 prior to that she was the LST 1069 after that she was the T LST 1069. Nice patch still on the Gemsco Card.
Scan_0054.jpg

Edited by Bearmon, 19 November 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#178 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

....and the new class of Costal Minehunter which could move closer inshore to clear waterways for maritime traffic

USS HERON (MHC-52) Osprey class in commission 1992-2007 (sold to Greece)

More from the USS HERON (MHC-52) Osprey class minehunter

Attached Images

• MHC 52 USS HERON 003.jpg
  • MHC 52 USS HERON 004.jpg

#179 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

More from the USS HERON (MHC-52) Osprey class minehunter

Attached Images

• MHC 52 USS HERON 005.jpg
  • MHC 52 USS HERON 006.jpg

#180 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

Current patch COMCMRON THREE - USS ARDENT (MCM-12), USS CHAMPION (MCM-4), USS SCOUT (MCM-8)

Mine Countermeasurers Squadron Three

Mine Countermeasures Squadron Three is one of three deployable U.S. MCM staffs that conduct integrated MCM operations anywhere in the world. The Mine Countermeasures Squadrons serve as tactical MCM commanders, working directly with fleet commanders, as well as serving as immediate superior in command (ISIC) for their assigned MCMs and MHCs.

The staff is comprised of twenty-two Officers and enlisted Sailors from these MCM communities who meld their experience into a cohesive professional team. This integrated concept of mine countermeasures utilizes airborne, surface, and diving units in concert. Sharing the strengths of each component of this MCM triad through precise navigation systems, the total effectiveness of this team of airmen, seamen, and divers is far greater than the sum of it's individual components. Integrated MCM operations are conducted under the command of this staff whose focus is always on training, safety, and the development of tactics.

The squadron is comprised of MCM's and MHC's. Mine Countermeasures Squadron Three is a subordinate Command of Mine Warfare Command, Corpus Christi, TX. and homeported at U.S. Naval Station Ingleside, Ingleside, TX.

Attached Images

• COMCMRON THREE 001.jpg

#181 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

USS WIDGEON (MSC-208) Bluebird class coastal minesweeper in service 1955 to 1969, homeport Sasebo, Japan for 13 years.  Market Time minesweeper in Vietnam with six campaign stars.

From the mid-1960s, the ship commenced a regular schedule of deployments on "Operation Market Time" patrol stations in the coastal waters off South Vietnam, on patrol and interdiction to cut off the seaborne flow of supplies to the communist Viet Cong forces inside South Vietnam. During one such cruise in January 1967, while being diverted from an "Operation Market Time" patrol to conduct classified operations in the Gulf of Tonkin, the ship made the national news when she was rammed by a swordfish. Later during that same cruise, while the ship was crossing the South China Sea, she sighted a McDonnell F4-C Phantom crash into the sea. Widgeon altered course in time to rescue one man of the two-man crew. The other flier, the pilot, died in the crash. Commander, Naval Forces, Philippines, later cited Widgeon for her outstanding performance of duty during the rescue.

Widgeon returned to Sasebo on 17 February 1967, worn and beaten from heavy seas, and was under repairs during March and April. On 1 May, a Navy P-3 Orion patrol plane, with a crew of 12 men on board, crashed in the Tsushima Strait off the southern coast of Korea. Widgeon headed for the scene of the crash, transiting the hazardous Hirado Strait for search and rescue (SAR) operations. She searched for two days and recovered numerous bits of debris but was unable to locate any survivors or the fuselage of the plane. The minesweeper ultimately returned to Sasebo on 5 May, to commence refresher training.

Widgeon spent the months of July through September, on her sixth "Market Time" patrol and a cruise in the South China Sea. Departing Sasebo on 3 July, the minesweeper arrived at Bangkok, Thailand, on 15 July. She later operated with mine countermeasures units of the Royal Thai Navy in the Gulf of Thailand in a SEATO exercise, "Sea Dog," before she operated on "Operation Market Time" stations from 27 July to 12 September. When she arrived at Kaohsiung, Taiwan, on 16 September, the ship's crew had not touched land in 60 days. Widgeon subsequently spent the rest of the year engaged in local operations out of Sasebo and Buckner Bay, Okinawa, and made a visit to Hong Kong for rest and recreation.

Over the next two years, Widgeon continued her operations in the Far East and Southeast Asian waters. During that time, she conducted two "Operation Market Time" patrols for which she later received the Meritorious Unit Commendation. The award, given the ship on 16 August 1970, was for the period from 1 June 1968 to 13 September 1969. During that time, Widgeon served with the Mine Countermeasures Ready Group and Coastal Surveillance Forces in combat operations off the coast of South Vietnam. She maintained a consistently high standard of readiness that enabled her to assume assigned duties early or on very short notice, and she completed three stints on "Operation Market Time" patrol stations. She not only inspected or boarded over 1,100 vessels but, on occasion, returned "hostile" fire from shore and conducted underwater searches. Throughout the repeated patrol extensions, "the continually outstanding performance, high state of morale, preparedness, and ingenuity of the officers and men of USS Widgeon attested to their exceptional team spirit and professionalism. By their exemplary courage and dedication, they contributed significantly to the success of anti-infiltration efforts in the Republic of Vietnam and enhanced the reputation of the Mine Countermeasures Ready Group, thereby reflecting credit upon themselves and the United States Naval Service."

Ultimately, after 13 years of continuous service in WestPac operating areas, Widgeon sailed for the United States on 17 August 1969, in company with Catskill, Vireo, and Warbler. Proceeding via Pearl Harbor, she arrived at Long Beach exactly one month later.

Attached Images

• MSC 208 USS WIDGEON 001.jpg
  • MSC 208 USS WIDGEON 002.jpg

#182 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

Mine Division 42 (MINDIV 42) Panama City, Florida 1950's

Attached Images

• MINDIV 42 Mine Division 42 001.jpg
  • MINDIV 42 Mine Division 42 002.jpg
  • MINDIV 42 Mine Division 42 003.jpg

Edited by Salvage Sailor, 06 September 2019 - 11:08 AM.

#183 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:59 PM

Mine Squadron Eight (MINRON 8) Atlantic Fleet Mine Force 1950's - 1960's

Attached Images

• MINRON 8 001.jpg
  • MINRON 8 002.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users