• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hirsca

hirsca
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,790
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

These insignia were in a large grouping of 10th Mountain Division items acquired at an estate sale.  Along with the USGI items, there were several medals from The Culver Military Academy and 1930's NRA Junior Marksmanship medals.  I did not think that they were USGI, so I have searched ROTC, CAP and Military School insignia without any luck.  Was I mistaken?  Raised, reversed N. S. Meyer shield and MeyerMetal maker's mark with open C catch.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks, Al.

Attached Images

• 001.JPG

#2 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,128 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

They are indeed ROTC Rank Insignia hirsca.

rotc-cadet-ranks.gif

#3 hirsca

hirsca
  • Members
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

They are indeed ROTC Rank Insignia hirsca.

rotc-cadet-ranks.gif

Thanks patches.  I have seen that while researching, but all of the color photo's of the rank seem to be flat, smooth and silver in color.  Could this be some variation particular to a college or university?  Thanks again, Al.

#4 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

These look like older examples of generic ROTC cadet rank for a 1st Lt. CAP Cadets have also used these, but the more modern examples (post WWII), are usually either smooth or have hatch lines running in one direction only. I'd date these as pre-war becsue of the harch pattern and the pin-back fastener. Newer ones have clutch backs. These could have been used by both Jr. ROTC and college level ROTC and some foreign counties have used rank devices similar to these. These "pips", as they are often refered to come in single, double and triple. One being 2nd Lt, , 2 for 1st Lt. and 3 pips for Capt. Majors would wear a single elongated diamond, Cadet Lt. Col. would wear 2 elongated diamonds (or lozenges), and a Cadet Colonel would wear 3 of them.

#5 hirsca

hirsca
  • Members
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

These look like older examples of generic ROTC cadet rank for a 1st Lt. CAP Cadets have also used these, but the more modern examples (post WWII), are usually either smooth or have hatch lines running in one direction only. I'd date these as pre-war becsue of the harch pattern and the pin-back fastener. Newer ones have clutch backs. These could have been used by both Jr. ROTC and college level ROTC and some foreign counties have used rank devices similar to these. These "pips", as they are often refered to come in single, double and triple. One being 2nd Lt, , 2 for 1st Lt. and 3 pips for Capt. Majors would wear a single elongated diamond, Cadet Lt. Col. would wear 2 elongated diamonds (or lozenges), and a Cadet Colonel would wear 3 of them.

Thanks Lee.  Makes sense.  This Vet attended Culver Military Academy prior to WW2, so these most likely were from his days there.  Thanks again, Al.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users