Hippie Helmet?

diggummup

This is an M1 helmet with a swivel bail, front seam and no liner. It has been painted bronze and has an "official US taxpayer" decal on it. Do you think this is a modifed protest helmet worn by some hippie protester in the 60's? That's what i'm thinking. Also, would something like this have any value?

post-148181-0-40315200-1386681204.jpg

post-148181-0-68991700-1386681228.jpg

post-148181-0-10107000-1386681248.jpg

88thcollector

it is probably from the government hating right wing side; more likely John Birch Society than hippie or anti-war protester. There are lots of varieties with the same message and lots of pin backs and badges.

Not sure if it would be John Birch, I figure they'd be a bit more openly anti-communist/UN, etc. It could very well just be from resistance to the increases in taxes that occurred sometime between 68-74 or so that Nixon, I think, put in place to combat inflation, but actually lead to "stagflation," maybe.

Don't know how much in favor of paying taxes the hippies were that threw dog crap on a friend of my dad back in '68.

Yeah, I guess "Protest Helmet' would be a more fitting title than Hippie Helmet"

Looks more like the helmet of a disgruntled veteran !

I think that makes more sense. Being that the decal is 60's early 70's Vietnam era, I would think the disgruntled vet. would have been a Vietnam vet?

With that being said, wouldn't a disgruntled Vietnam Vet. be wearing the newer style M1 that would have been issued to him versus an old style WW2 front seam M1?

I would say that whoever made that protest helmet just went to the local army navy surplus store and bought a helmet from the pile for a few bucks and it just happened to be a WWII pot or they found it in their attic, yardsale etc.....mike

I would say that whoever made that protest helmet just went to the local army navy surplus store and bought a helmet from the pile for a few bucks and it just happened to be a WWII pot or they found it in their attic, yardsale etc.....mike

Thanks. I forgot, WW2 surplus was a dime a dozen back in the day.