Collector's greatest fear

ken1967

In April of this year my greatest fear as a collector was realized when a fire swept through my house and destroyed a significant portion of my collection. Many of you know I collected 3ID items and had moved into collecting early American uniforms, headgear, etc.

Displaying your items is such a pleasure when you walk into your office/war room/man cave but we all take risks whether we realize it or not. Sadly, I dug through the rubble to pull these items out and photographed them. Many of the early visors, kepis and chapeaus were complete destroyed.

Over time these items pass away due to normal decay, neglect or uncontrolled events. Each time there are fewer left to pass on to the next generation. To me, this is one of the saddest pictures I took in the aftermath of the fire due to the loss of history.

We pick up and start again and pray that God allows me to keep things safely to hand off to the next collector one day in the future!

post-79-0-30701100-1386642596.jpg

Ken

Sorry to hear about your fire. Back in the 1970's a tornado hit Omaha and a collector watched it miss his house. He added a room under his patio with a fire door connecting it to his basement. I have wanted on ever since I saw his

doinworkinvans

My thoughts and prayers are with you still even though this happened a while back. I cannot imagine losing stuff dear to me in a fire...

I pray that you will find comfort in the tough time.

And thanks for not giving up and still striving to save for future generations!

Daniel

Collector .45

Wow! That's horrible. Fire is my greatest fear, but the cost for building a room safe from fire is too great for me at the moment.

- Henry

So Sorry for your loss!

If you all got out with your lives you are very lucky. Everything is replacable but a life.

the day the shuttle blew up in Jan. 1986 my house burned. We lost everything but my family of 5 children and my wife got out untouched. I got out with a pair of pants, t-shirt and socks, that was it. Lost all of the collection, including all of my reference books and many helmets, hats, swords and uniforms. The thing I regret the most was pictures of my mother and father in the 1920's before they got married all gone.

I've had two break ins in the past that wiped me out.

I also had a 1000 piece toy soldier collection stolen.

I feel your pain.

Wow guys.. that sucks.

Things truly dear to me that cannot be lost are put in my fire safe..

however 99% of my collection is on display.

I feel for your loss(es).

Terry is right.. be very glad no one was hurt and that it was only possessions lost.

-Brian

Sorry to hear the loss of all above who have had heart breaks. That is tough to endure. The good news you and your families survived.

Ken

When you rebuild, consider a fire suppression system. Most insurance companies give discounts if you have one. I know water is messy but fire is devastating.

Glad you and your family are safe. Others have said it, Its only stuff, hard to replace but not impossible.

Good luck,

Bob

Thanks everyone! We have actually been SO blessed during this time with great friends, neighbors, co-workers, and (for me) fellow collectors. The items that were lost pale in comparison to our lives and after everything, I only miss those items that had sentimental and personal connections.

My first purchases after everything were two fire safes and those few items that have significant personal/sentimental value are tucked safely in them. Everything else will be displayed again and we pray that we only have to experience the one house fire in our lifetime.

I look forward to sharing the rebuild process with everyone!

Ken

Ken,

I doubt that I've ever communicated directly with you since I've been a member here. I can't imagine what you are going through with the loss of your home and possessions. That you have your lives is truly a blessing. One of my shipmates lost his beautiful home and everything inside (including all of his and his family's service militaria) in the Washington, IL tornado a few weeks back. He and his family were at church when the twister hit. His dog and one of his cats survived and were in the rubble. The other family cat has not been found.

Possessions are (mostly) replaceable. I've learned through the loss of my sister-in-law (to cancer last April) that regardless of how much I enjoy these items, it is my family that I care about.

I hope that you're able to restart your collection again as you get your home rebuilt and restored.

Ken,

I doubt that I've ever communicated directly with you since I've been a member here. I can't imagine what you are going through with the loss of your home and possessions. That you have your lives is truly a blessing. One of my shipmates lost his beautiful home and everything inside (including all of his and his family's service militaria) in the Washington, IL tornado a few weeks back. He and his family were at church when the twister hit. His dog and one of his cats survived and were in the rubble. The other family cat has not been found.

Possessions are (mostly) replaceable. I've learned through the loss of my sister-in-law (to cancer last April) that regardless of how much I enjoy these items, it is my family that I care about.

I hope that you're able to restart your collection again as you get your home rebuilt and restored.

You're right!

Ken

Very sorry for your loss.With all you have been through it takes a lot to be able to post a topic like this.You have addressed a issue we all could face and fear.

Kurt Barickman

Sorry for your loss as it is a major depression. I know as I had a fire in the great Midwest ice storm on Halloween 1991. Thank God most of the loss was TR so in retrospect it was okay. Good luck and get those insurance sheets done as soon as possible before you forget what you lost.

God Bless,

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely sorry for your loss.. I am a retired fire captain and obviously a collector and that truly is my biggest fear.... Doesn't even have to be collectibles but one of a kind family photos and items passed down. Best of luck in rebuilding and don't give up the collecting interest..

I'm so sorry for your loss of your items. I hope you are able to find replacements in the near future. My prayers are with you.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again everyone for the support! Things are back on track with a few new items showing up and being displayed in my newly rebuilt office. I still have a tote of damaged and partially salvaged items that I still need to go through. I'm obviously not looking forward to that process.

In the end, they are only "things" and God's protection on the family was the important part.

Ken