Is this a D.U.I. ?

Wedgehead30

This is the 109th Field Artillery. At one time a regiment or battalion designation. My guess would be Regiment when this DI was used. Pennsylvania NG unit. Nice Eby hallmark and a very nice piece.

109th Field Artillery according to the WWII order of battle. Easy to find and confirm once you all came up with the number.

Just curious how you guys identify a crest with no writing. I know the red would indicate artillery but where do you go after that? Do you just thumb through the Crest book or order of battle book? Please enlighten this novice.

Thanks,

Scott

honestly, it looked really familiar sinc ei just saw german made ones the other day, but couldn't remember the unit. so I googled red Arrowhead Unit Insignia and it popped right up. also the heraldry website is a good tool, so I sue them. I bought books for insignia, like the keller brothers series, but don't have them yet.

I wish I could tell you I got it all off of memory! but usually if I find something specific in an insignia, I can google that specific part and find a match relatively easily.

109th Field Artillery according to the WWII order of battle. Easy to find and confirm once you all came up with the number.

Just curious how you guys identify a crest with no writing. I know the red would indicate artillery but where do you go after that? Do you just thumb through the Crest book or order of battle book? Please enlighten this novice.

Thanks,

Scott

You can order a copy of the ASMIC Charge list:

https://www.asmic.org/newsletter/ASMIC_cat.pdf

Yes, it's dated 1982 but is invaluable for DIs that have no mottos, like many WW 2 and pre-WW 2 DIs. The "Charge List" describes the different symbols found on DIs, and IDs them in that fashion.

As Tredhed said the ASMIC Charge List is the place to find these as easily as anywhere. That's the first place I go to identify a " no motto" DUI.