Marked Helmet Liners, The Unsung Hero Of The M-1

Bugme

On the right side, you can see traces of a round emblem painted in yellow. He also left a trace of his circular shape above the OD. Maybe this could help in hypothesizing which division or regiment it belonged to? I know for sure that here it came the 34th ''Red Bull'' Division, together with armored units.

2rghoap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MP liner with hand painted markings... Overpainted markings uncovered by myself

Late war Firestone liner/brass A-washers

Before/after

us-wwii-steel-helmet-liner-firestone-mp-

us-wwii-steel-helmet-liner-firestone-mp-

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6491.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

Burning Hazard

Ken, very interesting liner, I have a similar one with hand painted MP markings (bit sloppy). Wondering whether it was field painted in a hurry or by kids playing war, though kids tend to paint other things on liners while mine is pretty clean.

Pat

post-8715-0-34481100-1532215258_thumb.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

psnKIzY.jpg

2nd Army patch on the right, 306th Cavalry on the left of the helmet. By 1955 when this photo was taken at Camp Polk, the 306th was the 306th Armored Cavalry Group, an Organized Reserve unit out of Maryland and DC.

xL7ZkGe.png

319th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 1950, when it was part of the 80th Airborne Division.

Great photo of the 319th, wish it were a clearer pic so i could make out what markings are on the sides of their jump helmets!....is there a more higher resolution photo you can direct me too?...thanks...mike

mysteriousoozlefinch

Great photo of the 319th, wish it were a clearer pic so i could make out what markings are on the sides of their jump helmets!....is there a more higher resolution photo you can direct me too?...thanks...mike

Unfortunately that's the best I could make from the newspaper scan. First one was so black from the scanning it was impossible to make out the figures. Looks to me like the 319th Infantry's DI on the one side me; the other would probably be the 80th Infantry/Airborne Division patch, but it doesn't look that way to me. Right side seems to be maybe a number over wings.

mysteriousoozlefinch

I think the side we're seeing here is the 319th Airborne Infantry DI, the diced band in the middle doesn't stand out because of the B&W registration. The other may be the numbered/winged side or may have an 80th Airborne Division shield.

nVG0TDo.jpg

yAFPcZu.jpg

126th Infantry crest in 1950

t74esW5.jpg

425th Infantry also in 1950 at Camp Grayling.

ihQUJqt.jpg

96th Infantry Division SSI on liner in 1961.

mysteriousoozlefinch

63pXKfC.jpg

329th Infantry on the left side of the liner, 70th Infantry Division on the right side, as shown by Captain Ed Clift and 1st Lt. Bill Peterson, in 1952.

• 2 months later...

post-34986-0-53296900-1539921959.jpg

At least one cadre instructor of the 85th Training Division's 337th Regiment decaled liner sometime in 1963, post unknown, maybe Wood or Knox. Not sure on the one in the prone, looks like he's got the training cadre This We'll Defend decal on his liner, but appears to be wearing the Custer Division patch as well,, possible he's in one of the division's units that had no DI.

post-34986-0-21835100-1539921971.jpgpost-34986-0-23967300-1539922018.jpg

• 1 month later...

Heres a liner that once belonged to a Cpl Iannone from the 364th Infantry regiment when it was attached to the 69th Infantry Regiment at Fort Dix in the mid 50s.

post-192001-0-95428100-1543521239_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

These are both Korean War/early Vietnam era liners. West Point one is stamped M11 with insignia hole added in the front, the blue (anyone know why?) 69th ID one is Westinghouse/Capac marked and the U.S. is a collar device. Got them for about $15 each, they might be post-war but don't think I could find original marked WWII ones for that price.

West Point:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

69th:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

These are both Korean War/early Vietnam era liners. West Point one is stamped M11 with insignia hole added in the front, the blue (anyone know why?) 69th ID one is Westinghouse/Capac marked and the U.S. is a collar device. Got them for about $15 each, they might be post-war but don't think I could find original marked WWII ones for that price.

West Point:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

69th:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Your Blue painted liner is no doubt from the period the 69th Infantry Division was a training division at Ft Dix New Jersey 1954-56, a cadre or a range liner, though the use of an officer's U.S. collar badge is unusual, if it was worn by an officer, the rank would normally be worn on the liner.

Your Blue painted liner is no doubt from the period the 69th Infantry Division was a training division at Ft Dix New Jersey 1954-56, a cadre or a range liner, though the use of an officer's U.S. collar badge is unusual, if it was worn by an officer, the rank would normally be worn on the liner.

Just noticing that that U.S. badge is probably off an EM collar disc as seen here, still most unusual as it gives the impression of an officer worn liner.

Thanks for the info, had a feeling it'd be a bit of a unique one when I bought it. Any idea if the West Point one was actually ceremonial and worn by cadets, or a fantasy piece maybe by an alum? Asked a friend who's a cadet, he said they no longer have them. The Black Knight shields are lopsided (one is before the chinstrap stud rivet, one's after – heck, even those seem to look weird) so I wonder if that would've been permissible on the parade field.