Post your miniature medals.

market garden

ItemCo16527

This is my only set of note, but I don't have a name to go with them unfortunately :(

The Distinguished Flying Cross is marked N.S. Meyer on the reverse.

post-2275-1210054598.jpg

I got these from a guy who was a real war hero. Man, the stories he would tell. There was the time he took on a whole plat....... Ahh hell who am I kidding? Their mine. ;)

-Ski

post-3043-1210071416.jpg

Close up of Earle Hankey's miniature medals. He was wounded twice while aboard the USS Bunker Hill.

-Ski

post-3043-1210101366.jpg

siege1863

This is not what I generally collect, but the history behind it made it too good to pass up! The three medals, the Croix de Guerre, the Victory Medal, and the New York State Medal, are all beautiful mimiatures mounted on a photographic copy of the original citation for the CdG. The man to whom they belonged was Leonard Moorhouse Thomas. He was a millionaire's son and spent much of the time with high society types. One newspaper account mentions that he regularly played tennis with John Jacob Astor. His first wife, Blanche Oelrichs, was said to be the most beautiful woman in the world. When she divorced him (1916?), she married John Barrymore, the actor. In 1921, Thomas' worth was estimated at $15,000,000.00!

From Philadelphia: A Story of Progress, published in 1941:

Leonard Moorhead Thomas, born in Philadelphia, March 27, 1878, died August 31, 1937. He attended private schools, including the Episcopal Academy and St. Paul's School at Concord, New Hampshire, and studied in Switzerland. He graduated from Yale University with a degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1901....After completing his studies he was appointed second secretary to the United States Embassy in Rome, Italy, and five years later became first secretary to the United States Legation in Madrid, Spain, a post from which he resigned a year later. At the outset of the World War he enlisted and served as a first lieutenant in the Interpreters' Corps attached to the 32d Infantry Division of the United States Army. Later he became a liaison officer in Italy and at the headquarters of Marshal Foch. He received the Croix de Guerre from the French Government for services rendered at the second battle of the Marne while acting as liaison officer.

post-211-1210103348.jpeg

market garden
post-387-1210215628.jpg

Admiral Sterling Yates.

Enjoy

4starchris

That there my friend is a nice group of minitures. Market garden

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1210216817.jpg

My good friend MOH recipient Col Robert Howard. One of the nicest set of minis I have ever seen on a dress tuxedo.

4starchris

@ Chris, Ive read that Col. Howard earned 2 DSC. Isnt he missing a oakleaf on his DSC mini then?

Sebas

4STARCHRIS

Sbas,

Good eye. He actually earned two. One was uprgraded to the Medal of Honor leaving him with two DSC's. Funny story on this. As you can clearly see his DSC has no oak-leaf cluster. When asked to make a second set for him, I did exactly as the picture and he asked. Then when I presented them to him at a Medal of Honor get togather he almost had a cow that the DSC did not have an oak-leaf cluster on it. He told me in not so many words I have better find an oak-leaf cluster and place it on the DSC. Luckily, and not for sure what I have done in the first place, for I also thought a oak-leaf cluster was approriate, but he said do it this way initially. I just so happen to have brought some things with me in the car and fixed the DSC just in case this might happen.

I'll find the picture of me giving to him and post it.

Always a pleasure Sbas.

I"ll be in Barcelona for work so I will try and do this ASAP.

4starchris

4STARCHRIS

Beast. I personally have one set that was privately engraved with the veterans initals. His name was much too long for his full name. I'll see if I can find a pic of them and post them.

4starchris

Stinger Gunner USMC

here is a WWII vet/CAP grouping. It came from central IL and had a bunch of Brig Gen stars with the grouping... Maybe a Nat'l commander think.gif

post-1672-1210363847.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Here are my Mini medals. I put them together when I was learning to mount medals

post-1672-1210363977.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't know why I even bothered bidding: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=001

I think I narrowed it down to whom the original owner was , so I'd imagine others have, too.

This is yet another reason why I'll be basically getting out of collecting, or at least as far as ebay is concerned. This type of auction is the norm there.

Nice little grouping though.