WWII Unapproved/Unofficial Garrison/Overseas cap devices.

BROBS

Im starting to think these might have been for a cap for the 32nd INF REGT, they don't fit the profile of any other examples I have, might be for a name tag, BUT all of those examples have been one piece, so im starting to formulate a different opinion and they very well could be cap devices as far as I am concerned.

post-105459-0-81727200-1386123438.jpg

Im starting to think these might have been for a cap for the 32nd INF REGT, they don't fit the profile of any other examples I have, might be for a name tag, BUT all of those examples have been one piece, so im starting to formulate a different opinion and they very well could be cap devices as far as I am concerned.

attachicon.gifSKULLS FRONT (500x233).jpg

These were sewn behind the tapes, that's what those little OD cloth ( HBT? ) tabs were for, in Keller's book, ( don't have it in hand now ), we see similar one's.

im waiting on delivery of Kellers books, so that might have been a useful tool. I figured the tabs were a spacer at first, though ive never seen a bucs nametag that was not one one-piece, but I have also seen the skull and crossbones on the garrison cap in pictures (though hard to tell I think theyre enamel) and I have an enamel one that I will pull out and post today at some point. I was open to the possibility of them being a cap tab, they fit the size, but since youre telling me theyre in kellers book I will be able to shut the door on that. do you remember which book? I know theres a couple, and I finally ordered the first two

with these two, the Chosin Crest is modified but I actually got on the cap, so I know that was its use. the skull is spot on to one I made out in a picture back at battalion, and it came with a cap when I purchased it, so again, not 100% (because I haven't seen this exact one on that cap, just a very similar one on another cap in a picture) but I think it still goes with the "wear what you can get away with" unofficial DUI for the battalion.

post-105459-0-72744900-1386161563.jpg

OK I realized that I was not specific at all when I made this thread.

I want to see WW2 period devices in WW2 period photos, or WW2 devices on WW2 headwear.

I wonder if we can edit the thread to reflect this?

-Brian

Captainofthe7th

Here's the only picture I have right now…a chocolate garrison cap to a 2nd Lt. The bar used to be gold plated but has worn off over the years. I recently got loose pins identical to these crossed rifles for infantry and artillery.

GEDC0463.jpg

Rob

doinworkinvans

I like that KW one Rob - thats a good example of what we are looking for....

Hopefully this will take off with WW2 stuff!

I may go over to the other thread and share the pics that Gregory has already posted.

doinworkinvans

These are all examples I am copying over from another thread and alllllllllllll the credit goes to user Gregory!

These are examples we are looking for!

US.jpg

Here's some of my ike's with garrison caps that have unofficial pins on them (I didn't have time to post pics of just the OS caps):

IMAG0505_zps5a90be0f.jpg

This T/5 served with 104th Div. Artillery HQ Battery, his Divisional DI used as a cap device is a nicely enameled (basse-taille styled) example.

IMAG0502_zpsaa095b03.jpg

This GI served in the 415th IR, his cap pin is a painted enamel style (hard to see in this pic)

IMAG0471_zpsce5c61de.jpg

This Cpl. was in the 93rd Armd. Recon he used a officer's US device as a cap badge.

I'm sure these were technically all unofficial. As of note I've never seen two 104th Divisional DI's used on the lapels, only on the OS caps.

The soldier in post #12 wearing the officer-style US on his cap may be a member of the Counter Intelligence Corps or some other type of specialized investigator. It's impossible to see whether he's wearing rank insignia or an SSI on his sleeve, but the fact that the two men are apparently exploring a bunker may indicate that he's there to look for documents or other items of intelligence value. Soldiers assigned to the CIC wore officer-style US insignia instead of rank insignia, just as CI agents do today.