In Memory of My Cruise USS BITTERN 1923-1927 Embroidery

riflegreen297

riflegreen297

I found this last week. From the painstaking stitching details of the USS BITTERN, the quilting on the flags and the design of the Eagle, I would assume this was made in Japan. From exploring the internet the USS Bittern (AM-36) was a Lapwing-class minesweeper in the United States Navy. She was named after the bittern, a bird of the heron family.

The Bittern was launched 15 February 1919 by Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co., Mobile, Alabama; sponsored by Mrs. C. R. Doll; and commissioned 28 May 1919, Lieutenant W. P. Bachmann in command. She was scuttled after damage from enemy action in the early days of World War II.

Bittern's first duty was as tender to the captured German submarine SM UB-88 while she made an exhibition tour of the U.S. Gulf Coast and U.S. West Coast ports.

In January 1920 Bittern sailed for the Far East where she remained for the rest of her active service. Throughout most of the next 21 years she wintered at Cavite, Philippine Islands, and summered at Chefoo, China. But the routine was broken occasionally by assignment to scientific expeditions and in September 1923 by relief work following the Yokohama, Japan, earthquake.

The Japanese air raid on Cavite Navy Yard on 10 December 1941 found Bittern undergoing repairs. Although not hit, Bittern suffered extensive damage from fire, near misses, and flying debris from Sealion (SS-195) moored alongside. Too badly damaged for repair, the minesweeper was scuttled in Manila Bay after her crew had transferred to Quail (AM-15).

I have not been able to find anything on J.P. Brende who has his name at the bottom of the embroidery.

post-4227-0-11470800-1385916017.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hello. I came across this post by chance and wanted to ask you about it. I was wondering if you had learned anthing else about the USS Bittern? My Grandfather was on her in WWII, and was captured and spent three years in a Japanese POW camp. He was a great man and part of why I am in the Navy now. We were really close, but he died when I was young. His time in the Navy is a bit of a tender subject with my family, but I have been trying to research his life and experiences online and have had little success. I would be very greatful for any information or connections you might have made. Thank you for your time,

Jason.

Hello. I came across this post by chance and wanted to ask you about it. I was wondering if you had learned anthing else about the USS Bittern? My Grandfather was on her in WWII, and was captured and spent three years in a Japanese POW camp. He was a great man and part of why I am in the Navy now. We were really close, but he died when I was young. His time in the Navy is a bit of a tender subject with my family, but I have been trying to research his life and experiences online and have had little success. I would be very greatful for any information or connections you might have made. Thank you for your time,

Jason.

'riflegreen297' - I don't want to hijack your post so I'll be brief in responding to Jason.

Jason,

If your grandfather was Harold B. White from Alabama he went from the Bittern to the USS Tanager (AM-5). Tanager was struck by Japanese shore batteries on Bataan 4 May 1942 and sank off Corregidor.

Harold B. White was a prisoner at Sendai #6, Hanawa POW Camp until returned to US Military control in August 1945.

If this is your grandfather, please send me a PM (private message) through the Forum for additional information.

Hope this helps.

Larry

riflegreen297

'riflegreen297' - I don't want to hijack your post so I'll be brief in responding to Jason.

No issues what so ever. As far as I am concerned it is always good when an item sparks a conversation about a relative's service to our Nation. That is what this hobby should be about.

Thank you everyone that has helped me with my research. I have learned a lot about him because of the time you all took to help me. It really does mean a lot to me.

• 2 months later...