RPPC of Weapons Captured From Mexican Bandits

daniel griffin

One photo is captioned on the reverse " Captured from the Bandits June 4, 1918", the other "Taken while fighting the Mexican bandits".

mex2.jpg

mex1.jpg

daniel griffin

Great photos! Is that a rifle shortened to a pistol in the center of the first photo?

It looks like a Remington Rolling Block rifle cut-down to a pistol.

• 2 months later...
El Bibliotecario

I just found this post, and I believe the fellow wearing his pistol in the pubic postion is Emil Holmdahl, a border character during the Mexican revolution. Convicted of violating the neutrality act, in 1917 he obtained a presidental pardon, joined the army as an EM, went to France, and ended the war a captain.

• 3 weeks later...

Dan,

I've always been a big fan of Punitive Expedition and the gear/uniforms/weapons used, mainly because I live here in Texas where a lot of the border activity took place. I have a small number of real photo post cards from the period, and if I can ever figure out how to load photos will be happy to post them. Regarding the photo of Holmdahl, it seems that poses with extra weapons, custom made holsters, etc., were quite popular during the time, sort of like the photos of Civil War soldiers posing with more weapons than they would have ever actually carried in combat. That first card with the captured weapons is way cool. Thanks for posting.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Mr Griffin

Would you be prepared to allow the use of these two fascinating photographs as illustrations in a book on the armies of the Mexican Revolution I am just finishing for a UK publisher?

You would, of course, be cited as the source and if you are prepared to let them be used perhaps you would be good enough to say how you would like the citation to read.

Thank you,

Mike Blake