INFO REQ: Which Collar Disk for Uniform Restoration

Sparty On

This is a recent pickup of a WWI 80th ID jacket and helmet. The jacket and helmet came together from the same estate so I believe both belong together. The white diamond on the helmet indicates it is from the 2nd Battalion, 317th Regiment. On the collar of the jacket is a missing collar disk, which brings me to my first question. Does anyone have any idea what this disk would have looked like? I'm guessing something that has 317 at the top with crossing rifles in the middle and the number 2 below the rifles. Also I thought the US tab goes on the right side, not the left as pictured. I would like to try and find a replacement collar tab if anyone has any info.

Thanks,

Mike

post-104736-0-39927400-1385259052.jpg

If you need immediate gratification an infantry disk will suffice or inf. disk with a letter.

That will fill the little hole until you find a numbered one which ( I'm guessing ) might not be easy.

Nice set by the way and I like the painted insignia.

Did the liner survive ?

If you need immediate gratification an infantry disk will suffice or inf. disk with a letter.

That will fill the little hole until you find a numbered one which ( I'm guessing ) might not be easy.

Nice set by the way and I like the painted insignia.

Did the liner survive ?

Sort of...the liner is present but unfortunately is no longer attached to the helmet. I have a little information on the veteran and hope that it can provide some more information once I get a chance to research it more. Any idea whether or not the US tab should go on the left or right side?

These "Tabs" are in fact called Collar Discs, as a standard (you used both Tab and Disk interchangably). On the left side were the U.S. disc is now is where the Branch Disc whatever that might be will be placed, the other side the right is where the U.S. will be placed.

As Manayunkman intimated a standard Crossed Rifle Infantry Disc from the period will be sufficient, as well as his correct assertion in searching for a specific numbered or lettered disc. Using non numbered/lettered disc is fine as not everysingle Doughboy had regiment/company marked Branch and U.S. Discs.

Here a good guide, you will see lots of numbered and lettered Collar Discs, but just as many without.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/870-show-your-wwi-studio-photographs/

I had a relative in the 327th Field Artillery of the 84th Division, and his collar discs were a simple "US" and un-numbered crossed cannon barrels.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the person I bought from indicated it was an estate sale purchase. I tried to get as much info as possible but all he could provide was a last name possibly "Wilson" who was from North Carolina. I suppose it could be possible to narrow down or confirm this name based on the regiment, battalion and place of birth?

world war I nerd

At some point around mid 1918, the War department decreed that all organizations in the AEF were part of the U.S. Army, and as such they would henceforth all wear a U.S. Army collar ornament.

In the field it's doubtful that this regulation was enforced and as long as each soldier wore both a branch of service and either a U.S. Army, U.S.N.G. or U.S.N.A. collar disc nor one really cared. Therefore both the U.S. and U.S.N.A. collar disc would be correct for this particular service coat.

• 1 year later...
80thdivcollector

Yes, the person I bought from indicated it was an estate sale purchase. I tried to get as much info as possible but all he could provide was a last name possibly "Wilson" who was from North Carolina. I suppose it could be possible to narrow down or confirm this name based on the regiment, battalion and place of birth?

PVT WILSON, Fred, K, Coy "G", 209 Pennant Street, Pittsburgh, PA

PFC WILSON; Hugh, Coy "E", 143 Virginia Street, Phoebus, VA

PVT WILSON James, M, Coy "G", Marion, VA, was WIA near Nantillois, then Evacuated to Base Hospital and returned to duty.

Cook WILSON, Oscar, J, Coy "E", Boxwood, VA

To be correct according to regulations the "US" (or "USNA") goes on the right side. Your soldier may have worn two US disks or he or someone else simply put the insignia on the wrong sides. On the left would be the branch of service disk. For the 317th Inf., a crossed rifles disk with regiment number above and company letter below the rifles. Or, just the company letter below with no regiment number. At some point, the unit number was moved to the US, USNA or USNG disks and only the company letter was on the branch disk.

BTW -- when we are speaking of left and right on collars, we are referring to the WEARER's left / right, not the observers.

G