Help Dating 51st Signal Battalion PB GEMSCO Hallmark

KY_Wolverine

With the shuffling of the forums, I hope I'm putting this post in the right location. Haven't found one specific to DUIs yet. Anyway, I'm hoping to get some advice as to the possible date of this 51st Signal Battalion DUI by GEMSCO. I am assuming it's pre-1955, but we all know about assumptions. Your help is much appreciated.

Dave

post-121032-0-05533500-1385244867.jpg

I appreciate the clarification. This fits right in with what I was hoping it to be: post-WWII and pre-code. I've seen quite a bit on these forums about how to positively date NS Meyer hallmarks, but not so much regarding GEMSCO. Thanks again!

There was an article in the ASMIC Trading Post January - March 1986 that provides some information on hallmarks and determining age. I made a photocopy of mine that i keep in a 3 ring binder with my ASMIC Motto Guide and Charge List for easy reference.

Thanks for the heads up Ithaca37! I am going to be putting together an order for some ASMIC catalogs later today and I'll see if copies of that issue are available. The binder is a great idea. Went to my first show earlier this month and I was overwhelmed, to say the least, due to my unpreparedness.

Thanks for the heads up Ithaca37! I am going to be putting together an order for some ASMIC catalogs later today and I'll see if copies of that issue are available. The binder is a great idea. Went to my first show earlier this month and I was overwhelmed, to say the least, due to my unpreparedness.

The ASMIC website shows that issue is available to purchase.

I take my binder with that information to any show I go to. I also put it in my car when hitting antique stores or flea markets that I might find DI's.

Happy to help.

Tom

That's a good idea too. I have to say, though, that of all the antique stores my wife and I frequently hit I've only come across two DI's.

Dave

I haven't found many DI's at the antique stores for the most part. On occasion I do come across them. Pardon my bragging here but I did have the good fortune of finding a 52nd Troop Carrier Wing DI (British made) at an antique store than was mainly militaria at a very good price. :D

I'll try to get one posted. I'm not good at this type of thing, but i'll see if my wife can help.

I tried to post pics, but I can't get them downsized enough to post. Sorry.