APOCALYPSE NOW memorabilia

WINGS-PATCHES

WINGS-PATCHES

fwiw very little righteous Apocalypse Now memorabilia has surfaced. One of the reasons is filming was done in the Philippines under awful conditions and most everything was abandoned in situ. Recently a very few pieces have appeared on the market.

I've been asked by militaria collector friends about this and thought I'd give the board a head's up on the Bonhams auction where it is up for sale next Monday night. There are five lots and they are killer -- lot #s 281- 285. One is a skull from Captain Kurtz's (Brando) compound, another is Colonel Kilgore's (Duvall) helicopter insignia original production artwork signed by the artist and on a very large panel, another large art panel with the design for Kurtz's Special Forces unit's motto "Apocalypse Now", a fourth a design for a Vietnamese boat to be seen on the upriver journey that forms the backbone of the film, and fourth a grouping of Montagnard clothing designs. VERY cool stuff.

You can view the stuff here: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21427/##MR0_page=2&MR0_length=144&MR0_category=grid&MR0_currency=GBP&m0=0.

Auction is live online and also live in New York & Los Angeles. You have to register in advance on the Bonhams site in the next two or three days.

Cool stuff, but priced through the roof.

Somewhere around here I have one of the patches worn by the crew of the PBR Streetcar. I will have to dig for it and do a color scan of it. Philippine made, no less.

Apocalypse Now PBR.JPG

WINGS-PATCHES

And if you have a couple of million in the piggy bank you can own a Maltese Falcon. The John Wayne Hat is spectacular, he wore it in 6 of his movies, but it too costs a pretty penny. Also there are some very cool items which are bargains such as the E.T. mushroom, the Gentlemen Pref Blondes poster a steal under $1,000, I'm thinking of bidding on the John Wayne suit from Pittsburgh, the Buck Jones poster from The Deadline (KNOCKOUT!) and also the super-cheap Joel McCrae title art used for Wichita. Turner Classic Movies and Bonhams did a fine job of curating the material. Much better than the usual auction hodge-podge.

• 3 years later...

Cool stuff, but priced through the roof.

Somewhere around here I have one of the patches worn by the crew of the PBR Streetcar. I will have to dig for it and do a color scan of it. Philippine made, no less.

Lovely stuff. Do you have that color scan? Would be great to see as I think there were multiple (at least two) versions in the movie itself, one with black lettering and the other with blue.