Modified B6 flying helmet w/ AN6530 goggles.

Sabrejet

This is the latest addition to my collection of USAAF aviators' headgear. The B6 winter flying helmet was essentially similar to the B5 which preceded it, except for the addition of five hooks intended to retain the A-8-9-10 oxygen masks harnesses. This particular example has been further modified by the addition of molded leather cups which retain the R-14 receivers. As B6s left the factory they had no provision for communications equipment. This was added later at unit level. Small holes were cut in the shearling at each side so that the sound from the receivers could be heard and "riggers" sewed on the snap-fastened leather cups which held the receivers. Because of this, there are subtle variations to be found between various modified B6s, but overall they are essentially similar.

The goggles are standard AN-6530s by Chas. Fisher. This type has the stamped air vents. (I obtained these in a recent trade with fellow forum-er and AAF collector, mr_lits...thanks Rob!) ;)

msg-8022-0-49797700-1383940756.jpg

I should also point out that my example of the B6 helmet has been further upgraded by the addition of pairs of male snaps on each side to allow for the wearing of the more efficient A-14 mask in the manner illustrated below.

B-8_winter_helmet_%26_A-14_oxygen_mask_(

Great helmet Ian. Really clean example of a B6, love seeing em with the audio and O2 setups fully rigged out. Nice goggles too....

Thanks Rob...looks like your avatar! :D

Beautiful B-6 in size large with leather ear cups added for the HS-18 radio set. Note only that the hook for the A-13/A-14 mask is a postwar model. The goggles are nice also ! Good place for the book ! :)

A+ Mathieu

Beautiful B-6 in size large with leather ear cups added for the HS-18 radio set. Note only that the hook for the A-13/A-14 mask is a postwar model. The goggles are nice also ! Good place for the book ! :)

A+ Mathieu

Merci Mathieu...et félicitations pour votre livre! ;) I did wonder about the hook (which came from my spares box) because of the added clip. I think I might have another without it!

Ian