1st South Dakota Volunteer Infantry Philippine Campaign Officers Group

Here is group that I am very pleased to, just recently, add to the collection. Surfaced at a antique estate auction in Oregon a week or two ago. Ided to a Lt. that served in Co K, 1st South Dakota Infantry, United States Volunteers, who later went on to spend a lifetime in scouting (Boy Scouts of America)

Group Includes 3 of his Model 1895 Field Coats and one pair of dark blue, white officer striped trousers. The one on the left was tailored by M.C. Lilley and from the photographs appears to be the one that he departed for the Philippines in 1898. The center example is interesting in that it appears to be tailored from a a M-1883 federal depot made enlisted sack coat. Retains its heavy wool liner and the sleaves bare depot stamps. Insignia is metal and that and the ribbon bar are as it came from the estate. The last one (furthest right) is made of a very light cotton wool blend, woven black wool trim (not mohair) with bullion embroidered U.S.V. and 1st S.D. Infantry insignia. Certain features of this coat lead me to believe that it was tailored outside the U.S. and possibly tailored in the Philippines. Also included is his wool 1920 Scout Executive Uniform (BSA). What's really interesting is that he had his campaign ribbons sewn to his scout uniform. According to the paperwork he was a Scout Master in the BSA starting in 1910 which is the founding year of the Boy Scouts of America, retiring in the late 1930's as Scout Executive of the Yellowston Council (Montana). Before becoming involved in scouting, he was the state forester of South Dakota

In contining with the group, there is included a large cabinet photograph of the officers of the 1st Battalion, 1st South Dakota Volunteers in there model 1895 coats and campaign hats. He is in the far right 2nd Row and is wearing the coat on the right. There is a portrait photograph of him in the coat on the far left baring a San Francisco photographers signature. The other photos show him in the Scouts; one in the uniform shown with the ribbons. There is a Spanish Atlas of the Philippines that was reprinted by the U.S in 1899. There is a large period map of U.S. military operations of the Philippines. His sewing kit and bag are also shown with his initials. The bag or pouch looks like others I have seen that were made in the Philippines and brought home by other soldiers serving there. His original commission and promotion certificates from South Dakota are also included. There is his inscribed 1899 Unit History bound in leather. His burial flag is shown and lastly a drafting set that dates to the period.

The 1st S.D. Volunteer Infantry, including several Western U.S. Volunter Regiments including the 1st Colorado, 1st Idaho, 1st California, 1st Montana, 1st Nebraska, 51st Iowa, 2nd Oregon, Utah Volunteer Light Artillery, and serveral other state units made up the Philippines Islands Expeditionary Force. Regular Army units such as the 3rd, 4th, 9th, 12th, 14th, 17th, 18th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd U.S. Infantry (Not Volunteer Regiments) were also part of the Expeditionary Force. The 1st South Dakota arrived in the Philippines after the Spanish American War had officially ended. With the defeat of Spain, its former territories of Guam, Porto Rico and the Philippines were annexed by the U.S. Once the native Philippinos realized this, many of them enganged in war against the U.S. forces that now occupied the islands. This lead to a bloody conflict that continued officially to 1902, with hostilities continuing until the teens. 4200 U.S. Military Personel would perish in fighting with hostile forces. In addition to this, as many as 2000 members of the Philippine Scouts and Philippine Constabulary were killed in the fighting on the side of the U.S..The 1st South Dakota would remain in the Philippines for nearly a year before heading back home to the states. They would sustain 25 deaths to hostile activity and 30 to disease which plagued all units were to serve in islands.

The officer who's "grouping" is presented here participated the battles of block house no 4, La Loma Church, San Francisco del Monte, Meycauyan, Marilao and the Malolos Campaign.

For some reason items from units that saw initial service in the Philippines come up rarely. I have been seeking items fromt the 1st Colorado for years and I have not seen nor heard of such a group of this scope, from an officer, with the exception of General Irving Hale, who's massive grouping was sadly broken up years ago.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

post-23325-0-34234700-1384503919.jpeg

US Victory Museum

A marvelous grouping, Terry. That unit history "Campaigning in the Philippines" is a wealth

of information concurrent to the events; it'll make fascinating reading material.

Msn

Thanks for the kind regards Gentleman. During my years of school I think I saw a whole paragraph on the Philippine Insurrection. With over 4000 U.S. deaths in less than 3 years, it was indeed a major war. Compared to the Indian Wars (1865-1898), with less than 1000 U.S. Military personnel killed, one can get an idea of the conditions of warfare faced by the U.S. Army and Marines on the Philippine Islands. While there have been a number of movies made on the Indian Wars (sadly mostly tremendously inaccurate) , just a couple have been made on the Insurrection.

Hopefully some day, this officers medals will surface. Probably locked away in some safety deposit box. Maybe the family decided to sell everything but them as they were small and easy to store, only to sell years later. Oh well.

• 3 months later...