62nd Ferrying Squadron

GeneralLucas

The 62nd Ferrying Squadron was based at Love Field in Dallas, Texas during WW II. I have never seen their squadron patch and they may not have used one. However, I have found a Flight Log Book which depicts an insignia and their unit name with a transport aircraft with its nose flying between North and South American and its tail in Europe surrounded by a compass with degrees marked on it. It is in rough condition. Did they use this insignia in the form of a squad patch?

post-1658-0-11708700-1384388409.jpg

I have 2 pictures of the 62nd Ferrying Squadron insignia This is the better version of the two

post-3627-0-34637700-1384401144.gif

Terry L Horstead

Thanks Johnny... I want an example but I have never seen one even though I live in Dallas. Since It appears they only flew in the U.S. and this flight log lists just fighter aircraft, there sould be some available. It is probably a rare squad patch.

post-1658-0-88415500-1384459005.jpg

• This squadron was in the 5th Ferrying Group at Love Field, and with the females flying that were based there, what a name for an airfield. Note: 5th FG in this image.

post-1658-0-72051900-1384459972.jpg

• 4 months later...

The Ellis County Museum in Waxahachie, Texas has a log book exactly like this one. It was taken to the China Burma India theater in WW II and used as the flight log of his trips over the Himilayas in a C-47. He flew about 6 trips per week from early January to mid-July 1945 when the replacement for the Burma Road was opened reducing the need for the dangerous flights.

In using the log he didn't use the headings and used the location codes for his point of origin and destination. Since he was from Waxahachie and taught flying at an airfield in Corsicana he might have picked the 62nd Ferrying Squadron up from a friend before he left for Asia.