Pathfinder Beret?

Azeeze312

I found this UK made beret with a US Pathfinder patch on the front of it for 8$ I was curious if it was a Novelty/Childs Item Costume prop or was this a common thing?

hhq4.jpg

gzf9.jpg

Thanks

-Nick

If you look at the label you will see this was a uk contractor but the contract number and size marking make

it a German military item.

Not an autherized application of this badge as far as we know. A Fashion piece no doubt.

Not even a real Pathfinder badge either. The colors are incorrect and I think the only merrowed version ever produced was subdued black on OD.

Here's what the correct colors would be: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/UniformedServices/Badges/pathfinder.aspx

Not even a real Pathfinder badge either. The colors are incorrect and I think the only merrowed version ever produced was subdued black on OD.

Here's what the correct colors would be: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/UniformedServices/Badges/pathfinder.aspx

That color combo is OK B229, see below, these were it was believed the transitional types, a kinda bridge between the old full size and the new small size circa 1968, note they even made these with the merrowed edges in full color. There is also another varient of the full size merrowed edge subdued, a reverse color, a Black torch on an OD background.

post-34986-0-76358300-1375325031.jpg

This image with commentary below copied from an earlier topic.

Thank's John, tioh gives a October 1968 date for the new small badges, we do know that the new cloth subdued versions do start to be seen being worn in Vietnam in 1969, so it is strange, one of course will know for sure that in this early period the two types would be see being worn, but the old type still being worn by early 1974? It's also interesting to say the least that the Army had made up full size fully embroidered merrowed edge color and subdued versions, with the subdued version being the type worn on the fatique pocket, just like the full color versions were.

post-34986-0-45542300-1372049281.jpg

Why? it was at this exact time when the new small ones were adopted.

vintageproductions

Instead of saying it is not real, how about the possibility that its a veterans item, that they could have put together for a parade or something similar.

That color combo is OK B229, see below, these were it was believed the transitional types, a kinda bridge between the old full size and the new small size circa 1968, note they even made these with the merrowed edges in full color. There is also another varient of the full size merrowed edge subdued, a reverse color, a Black torch on an OD background.

Patches,

Thanks. When I looked at this on my laptop at home, the OD torch looked yellow, so I thought is was some kind of wierd combination of color and subdued. Guess I need to adjust the color balance on my laptop!

Instead of saying it is not real, how about the possibility that its a veterans item, that they could have put together for a parade or something similar.

Agreed

Also could have been something unauthorized but worn on a unit level or small group,instructors or cadre.

Here in the mid 1970s my brother in law was in a local guard unit.They were desiginated as D Troop 1/194th Cav (Air).They all wor Stetson Cav hats with cross sabres and 194 above them.They wore the rank pins above the sabres.Not authorized bur tolerated with in the unit(and above at times)They looked real sharp dressed in the summer tans and wearing the hats.

I have seen pictures of early Viet Nam Rangers/LRRP detachment wearing the 101 black and white RECONDO arrow head as a flash on a black beret.

Just sayin anything is possible.

Anyone know of any Airborne or pathfinder detachments in Europe or Germany in the late 80s or early 90s??

Instead of saying it is not real, how about the possibility that its a veterans item, that they could have put together for a parade or something similar

Thats what I was thinking, or possibly from some of the popular veteran motorcycle clubs in the area alot of times they wear berets with, patches or pins on them.

• 11 months later...

Thank's John, tioh gives a October 1968 date for the new small badges, we do know that the new cloth subdued versions do start to be seen being worn in Vietnam in 1969, so it is strange, one of course will know for sure that in this early period the two types would be see being worn, but the old type still being worn by early 1974? It's also interesting to say the least that the Army had made up full size fully embroidered merrowed edge color and subdued versions, with the subdued version being the type worn on the fatique pocket, just like the full color versions were.

I think I worked for this Colonel at Ft Benning in 1979. he wore this same uniform except with the school patch.

I think I worked for this Colonel at Ft Benning in 1979. he wore this same uniform except with the school patch.

@bravo six, No kidding! Thanks for your reminisces. Was his last name Leighton?

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: LEIGHTON JAMES P III

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O05

MOS: 1542

MOS Title: Infantry Unit Commander

Entered: 5309

Discharged: 810301

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN