AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE

frederick

AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE

After the Spanish-American War, the reluctance of the Grand Army of the Republic to open its membership to other war veterans caused a small landslide in new societies being formed at that time.

There were two independent groups that, without knowledge of each other, formed societies with the same name. The first group was formed in Columbus, Ohio in late 1899. They existed as an independent society until uniting with the second group in 1905. They adopted a badge and a smaller badge version as a lapel pin. The same size lapel pin hanging from an appropriately size bar with the word AUXILLARY is illustrated in Harvey S. Eisenberg's groundbreaking article on Spanish-American War societies (see February, March, July, November and December, 1973 issues of Journal of the Orders and Medals Society). The badge of this group is shown in attachment #1.

In late 1901, a group of veterans in Pittsburg, PA formed a group called PHILLIPPINE WAR VETERANS. In 1902 they changed their name to FOREIGN SERVICE VETERANS. Another group formed in Altoona, PA called itself PHILIPPINE WAR VETERANS. While a third group, in Philadelphia, PA formed a group called the AMERICAN VETERANS OF PHILIPPINE & CHINA WARS. Each of these three groups got together in 1903 and formed a combined new society, the AMERICAN VETERANS OF THE PHILIPPINE, CUBAN-PUERTO RICAN & CHINA WAR. The name was too long and difficult to remember, so later that same year, they changed the new group name to AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE. Their badge is shown in attachment #2. Simply because this badges is more striking in appearance, certainly more expensive, and currently more available than the other badge, I can only guess this badge was adopted by both groups when they merged in 1905.

The common uniting tread in all these groups was the requirement that members have overseas service. In later years the requirement shifted to award of a service medal indicating foreign service. As I remember, most Spanish War veterans never left the United States. The quickness of the war, plus the Army and Navy inability to move troops overseas, something they had little experience doing, left most veterans setting in Florida or Georgia during the war.

By 1913 both AVFS groups wanted some single national body to represent them. They combined with a Denver, CO group--ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES--and formed a new, national organization, the ARMY OF PHILIPPINES, CUBA AND PUERTO RICO. Knowing this name was too lone and looking to the future for members from wars not yet fought, the group changed it name later that year to VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS. They adopted the badge of the Denver group--the Maltese Cross--with the new name.

post-1633-1209341738.jpg

post-1633-1209341771.jpg

Great thread! I have always wondered about the early VFW and now I know. :)

You know I have learned SO much from this section on Veteran's Organizations.

• 5 years later...

Looking for validation...

Your claims seem accurate, seeing that there was a meeting in OH where the AVFS were created... September of 1899, and chartered in October. What is the significance of 1905? ... another AVFS group? If so, from where?

My original VFW Post, the General Henry W. Lawton Post 1 of AVFS, was the first in PA but I cannot find any historical data dating any further back than 1913 involving them - and this information is from an old meeting minutes book I found at my Post. An original Post flag can be seen in the State VFW Headquarters in Harrisburg, PA.

I have reached out to the community with no luck. I have reached out to the General Meade Post 1 of the GAR, which was here in Philly, because they and the Lawton Post interacted back in the 1920's - 25 members of the Meade Post 1 were made honorary members of the Lawton Post. My uncle also has a descendant that was a Past Post Commander of GAR Post 114 here in Philly... the museum director was fascinated with the walking stick he possessed from him.

So in closing... I am seeking as much information relating to the Lawton Post and the AVFS as a whole. Reason being... the National VFW archives are wrong! They have our Post mustering on Nov. 11, 1915... which I proved to them was incorrect by sending a photo of the first page of the minutes book. It was dated Feb. 14, 1914. I also sent them a page discussing Resolution No. 7 of the AVFS, which was passed at the Convention held at Newark, NJ Nov. 22-23, 1913... which further proved they were active before 1914. The National VFW Headquarters stopped responding to my correspondences when I sent this information to them... I believe because they knew there was a huge discrepancy within their archives.

Side note... I thought it was funny to read that the VFW claims it was founded in Pittsburgh on Sept. 17, 1914 yet my Post included the resolution in their book stating the organizing of the VFW occurred in Philadelphia, March 28 and 29, 1914?!? This was a typed page that was inserted one of the minutes page, assuming it was an official correspondence that they archived in the book.

Thank you in advance!

Further info I have collected...

---------------------------------------------------------------

In December 1899, COLORADO SOCIETY OF THE ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES organized at Denver, Colorado by General Irving Hale and became the NATIONAL SOCIETY OF THE ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES

On August 13, 1900 with Francis V. Greene as their first Commander-in-Chief.

On July 7, 1901, in Altoona and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, H.O. Kelley organized PHILIPPINE WAR VETERANS in Altoona, Pennsylvania.

In October 1901, G.H. Smith was elected Commander.

On April 27, 1902 reorganized as FOREIGN SERVICE VETERANS with Jacques La Belle as Commander.

On July 24, 1902, AMERICAN VETERANS OF PHILIPPINE AND CHINA WARS organized at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Captain Robert S. Hansbury with C.O. Knighton as President became the home of the American Veterans of the Philippine and China Wars.

The PHILIPPINE WAR VETERANS-Altoona, PHILIPPINE WAR VETERANS - Pittsburgh, and AMERICAN VETERANS OF THE PHILIPPINE AND CHINA WARS-Philadelphia met together September 10-12, 1903 at Altoona, Pennsylvania and formed the Eastern society of the AMERICAN VETERANS OF THE PHILIPPINES, CUBAN, PUERTO RICAN & CHINA WARS organization. The name was changed by plebiscite to AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE-Eastern Branch.

During the period of September 13-15, 1905, at Altoona, Pennsylvania, the Eastern Branch of the AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE, which was formed in 1903 at Altoona, Pennsylvania, amalgamated with the original AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE of Columbus, Ohio to become one society known as the AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE. Herbert O. Kelley, of Altoona, was elected Commander.

At their Encampment in August 1909 they changed the name to ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES.

In August, 1913, at Denver, Colorado, the ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINES and the AMERICAN VETERANS OF FOREIGN SERVICE united under the temporary name of ARMY OF THE PHILIPPINE-CUBA and PUERTO RICO, with Rice W. Means as the first Commander-in Chief. During the year the organization's name was changed by plebiscite and General Order No.1 to the present day VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF THE UNITED STATES.

At the Encampment in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1914, the name VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF THE UNITED STATES and a constitution were formally adopted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So with all of that said... I am still confused where the Lawton Post 1 of the AVFS started and when?! Also, with the organization starting in Columbus, where was the very first Post? And this information seems to contradict the original info I found stating that the AVFS were comprised of just Spanish-American War veterans... since the Eastern Branch was formed in Altoona, PA (Sept. 10-12, 1903)and included members of Philippine War Veterans and AMERICAN VETERANS OF THE PHILIPPINE AND CHINA WARS!?! ... so were Lawton Post members part of this merger???

Thanks again.

• 3 years later...
KevinBeyer

I came across this version of the AVFS badge. Note it has a different suspension bar than the original image that frederick posted. From the coloration and the appearance of the ribbon, it appears to be original. The pin attachment is an early variety. But, the badge is unnumbered. My thoughts are that this is of a type that was used in the middle years of the organization's existence.

AVFS.jpg

Kevin