Restoring a 1943 Dodge WC-62

robinb

lightningdivision

She looks great Robin.You will have lots of fun driving her.

Have a nov 1942 WC-51,drives,but in need of restauration.A 6X6 drives much better than the 4X4(personal tought)

Keep up the good work,and great that Your wife helps you out.

All the best,

Stijn

John Pfannenstein

This is someone elses truck. I found the picture on the 'net somewhere. It's my inspiration. I only hope I can get close to making mine look this nice.

attachicon.gifaberdeen_2007_02.jpg

I am encouraged with you dream of rebuilding your truck. I purchased two jeeps (WWII and Korean War), in a desperate need of a facelift and am just looking for that inspiration as you have shared with us.

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I can't believe that it's been almost a year since my last update. Been busy with other projects. But today the Big Dodge took on a little personality. It got it's stars.

MVC-121S.JPG

MVC-122S.JPG

That's how the original star was oriented. Twice. The star on the hood of my truck was repainted by the Army at least once, and both stars are like this.

That's how the original star was oriented. Twice. The star on the hood of my truck was repainted by the Army at least once, and both stars are like this.

Ok, was just wondering since a lot of photos show the star the other way (which to me i more logical).

But as you stated the star was originally painted like that then I guess it was done like that too.

Thanks for the info.

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Inside of the tool bin that's behind the drivers seat there were 4 holes drilled that had no apparent purpose. I used them to mount an unusual accessory. The AN/VVX-1 Visual Identification Equipment signal lamp power supply. It's a high intensity strobe light that was used to identify the vehicle to friendly aircraft. The lamp unit is hand held and is stored in a bracket that I haven't mounted yet.

MVC-146S.JPG

MVC-148S.JPG

MVC-149S.JPG

MVC-150S.JPG

MVC-151S.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Worked on her some yesterday. Got her running! Still have some bugs to work out but the finish line is getting closer.

• 3 months later...

Let me offer you a suggestion.....

Get you a 1 gallon garden sprayer. Take the end off the wand, cut it off will be the easiest way. Put a piece of hose on the end of the wand that will fit a bleeder fitting. Fill the sprayer with brake fluid and pump it up. Not a real high pressure, low pressure will work better. Take the cap off the master cylinder and place a bucket under the truck.

Starting at the brake is the farest away from the master cylinder, put the hose on the fitting, loosen the bleeder fitting, and squeeze the handle on the wand. This will force "fresh" brake fluid back through the system. Forcing the old brake fluid out and all the air out. Keep it squeezed till you see "CLEAN" fluid drip out of the master cylinder into the bucket. Tighten the bleeder back down, and remove hose.

Repeat on each brake getting closer and closer to the master cylinder. It can be done with no problem by yourself.

I learned this bleeding the brakes on a M20, which is a pain to get all the air out.

Still be a good way to fill it, and leave no air in the system.

I use a hand pump pressure(not vacuum) system for forklift brakes, and I usually have to bleed them by myself. After using it at work, I figured it would work well on a Military if I could make it bigger, as the 174.00 bucks one was made to fit a standard brake fluid can.

Amazon has a video on how the system works.

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-V12-205-Injector-Bleeder/dp/B005P3LHG8/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F18X400K6NW8HV0WX42X