Unkown Ribbons

PATCHRAT

I found these today. I do ot know if they all belonged to the same person but the bottom two I can't ID. The green one has two stars that look printed on and the ribbon is sewn to the bar. Both are pin back. Any Ideas? Thanks.

post-1604-1209306645.jpg

The green ribbon is for United States Maritime Service for those who were aboard a merchant ship that was sunk suring world war two, the second star means they survived two sinkings. They also had a ribbon like this in grey with stars for ships sunk. think.gif Rudy Basurto ([email protected]) has books on the merchant marine that shows their medals, ribbons, insignia, and uniforms.

Interesting, thank you for the ID. TWO sinkings thats two too many for me. Does the ribbon have an actual name?

The green ribbon is for United States Maritime Service for those who were aboard a merchant ship that was sunk suring world war two, the second star means they survived two sinkings. They also had a ribbon like this in grey with stars for ships sunk. think.gif Rudy Basurto ([email protected]) has books on the merchant marine that shows their medals, ribbons, insignia, and uniforms.

Hum. Very interesting. I've never heard or seen any like that in the reference publications I have (which of course don't really focus on the US Maritime Service so that is probably why it would be left out). Is there an official name for this ribbon? Do you have any other pictures of them?

Any additional information you have would be much appreciated. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Hey Sarge - I know that you are the expert I go to for anything Navy, but I collect Merchant Marine, and that doesn't look like a USMS ribbon to me.

Below are pictures of the Combat Bar (for a damaged or sunk ship) and the Gallant Ship Bar (for heroic rescue effort), and that ribbon is neither.

post-2647-1213937033.gif

post-2647-1213937051.jpg