WWII Camillus Life Raft Knife

dustin

Knife collecting is one of my tangents that I enjoy especially of those for aeronautical use. There is one knife I would like to highlight but first a brief background. The knife in question is the 3 bladed scout type procured by the USAAC/AAF. The most well known manufacturer is Camillus but other companies made them as well with both bone stag and plastic scales. Camillus is probably the original contractor with the other companies supplying them soon after the outbreak of war for the USA. The USAAC began procurements as early as 1940 and production ceasing after 1943 for this particular model. The early production models under Camillus designated as S6018 included bone stag scales and by the close of 1941 switched to all steel construction. In march of 1942 production would include the use of plastic scales designated under Camillus model number 14J95C. These models are certainly the more well known models but the Camillus specification sheets mention another model designated under 14J95A described as: Quote

"For use in life rafts. Constructed exactly like the 14J95C but with clevice."

For some time I was looking for a cleviced model that I assumed would be identical to the engineer knives that are riveted. The 14J95A models actually utilize a round stock clevice clipped in holes on the bolsters.

The typical 3 blade knife with stag scales S6018:

post-56-0-35791300-1382405197.jpg

Camillus also provided A fish knife for the roll type fishing kits. Compare to the known WWII Camillus fish knife (top) clevice to the 14J95A presented here.

post-56-0-97977000-1382405444.jpg

post-56-0-09944400-1382405460.jpg

Photographic evidence in use with AAF multi person life rafts.

Photo taken in 1943...note the off set clevice with the apparent plastic scales, also it can be seen the clevice is not riveted.

post-56-0-41788500-1382405675.jpg

This photo taken in 1944 clearly shows the same off set detail and clipped position on bolster.

post-56-0-46552900-1382405785.jpg

I was asked to clearify "included bone stag scales and by the close of 1941 switched to all steel construction". The knives originally included brass spacers then began replacing them with steel. The scales were made with only bone or plastic.

For reference, the 14J95A was superseded by the curved life raft knife in early 1944.

post-56-0-28047100-1382447780.jpg

Dustin, thanks for the review of these knives with the included pictures. I've pretty much have been relying on an old Camillus document about their WW2 production and the sketches they included in it.

I keep looking for a good example of the S6018 and so far no luck yet. What I do run across have condition issues that cause me to keep looking.

Dustin, thanks for the review of these knives with the included pictures. I've pretty much have been relying on an old Camillus document about their WW2 production and the sketches they included in it.

I keep looking for a good example of the S6018 and so far no luck yet. What I do run across have condition issues that cause me to keep looking.

Condition can be a mine field but if the price is right minor issues are acceptable. Pictured first is one variation there is also a long pull variant on main blade.

post-56-0-51708700-1382497995.jpg

You can look for other manufacturers other than Camillus. Examples from top to bottom Pal, Imperial and Ulster these tend to fly under the radar and can be had for a reasonable price. Each of these manufacturers also made plastic scale models as well like that of the Camillus 14J95C.

post-56-0-87536700-1382498020.jpg

The spec sheets are a huge boost but only the tip of the iceberg.

This is an interesting variation that I picked up, it is a four line all steel construction but with rosewood scales. When I saw it I thought of the 5" 5665L66 order for 35,500 with the order split between bone handles and rosewood handles due to the shortage of bone at the time thinking this variation was manufactured about the same time. It fits the bill and am convinced its war era made.

post-56-0-00435800-1382498944.jpg

What were these knives intended for? According to the Camillus specification sheets the USAAC procured 29,450 in 1940 but for what specifically? They were not for emergency kits because at this time there was only 2 standardized kits in which they did not include a pocket knife and they were not a standard accessory for life rafts at this time as well. Yet again the USAAC procured an additional 40,000 more in 1941 still they do not apply to emergency kits or life rafts as standard. The answer up to this point is that they were distributed at preference by local commands. Up to officially entering WWII local commands were responsible for requisitioning accessories and assembling kits allowing for a personal preference. Many commands assembled their own emergency kits to suit their needs as well issuing them directly to pilots and aircrew, a quality knife was emphasized in the Alaskan Command. The necessities of war prompted a standardization protocol. The bulk of the contracts for these 3 bladed pocket knives were awarded in 1942. Large quantity contracts were awarded for the B-2 Emergency Jungle Back Pad Kit which included this knife as a standard accessory and the knife became standard on multi person life rafts. The Camillus spec sheets reflect the need for the war effort, Camillus manufactured 775,767 and Imperial 540,000 in 1942 alone. The number may seem high but realistic, at least half the quantity would be required to supply existing and on procurement equipment with the bulk allowing for stock and for projected requirements. Aside from life rafts there was only two standardized emergency kits that included this knife as a standard accessory those being the B-2 Jungle and B-4 Universal emergency kits. The B-1 Alaskan kit was not designed to be equipped with this model knife but a later technical order would delete the original knife replacing it with this 3 blade model. Why no further procurements were made for the 3 blade scout knife after 1943? The answer is multi part first with the life rafts. In early 1943 the 8th AF began using the RAF floating life raft knife which in turn influenced the design of an American version with a finalized version being accepted by the close of 1943 leading to the projected discontinued use of the 3 blade scout knife. Second part is that all B-2 and B-1 kits have been delivered and equipped in the first quarter of 1943 shortly after a limited procurement of the B-4 was made having an already ample supply of knives in stock for the kits in service and on procurement. Third part would include the initial stages of development of the C-1 vest in the spring of 1943 which would include an engineer style utility knife. In conclusion by the spring of 1943 there was no projected use for the 3 bladed scout knife as it was being replaced by other implements as standard. This knife did stay in the supply system essentially on a supply till exhausted status.

These knives were included in multi person sustenance kits but were contractor furnished equipment, this may explain the availability outside of Camillus and Imperial also of course the Bureau of Aeronautics procured them as well.

Example of B-2 kit placement

post-56-0-30178400-1382504529.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked to clearify "included bone stag scales and by the close of 1941 switched to all steel construction". The knives originally included brass spacers then began replacing them with steel. The scales were made with only bone or plastic.

For reference, the 14J95A was superseded by the curved life raft knife in early 1944.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Dustin, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, what is the tool in this post? I have one like it and can not figure out what it's for.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Bringing up this old thread after seeing this example of the three bladed AAF knife.

post-17422-0-09206000-1403125781.jpg

post-17422-0-51057600-1403125873.jpg

This is a knife from a member at AAPK who was looking for some historical information on his knife.

I've found this example curious as it has a 3-line tang stamp. Does this mean that this type of knife continued to be made after 1943? Or that the 3-line tang stamp may have existed even earlier than previously thought.

In an attempt to learn more I was digging around in the old Camillus document entitled: Principal Items Delivered to Armed Forces During World War II From 1941 to 1946.

You can view it thru this link:

http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/History/Camillus-Military-1941-1945s.pdf

I found this at page 31about 2/3 down the document,

Miscellaneous Pocket knives, dated 10/27/43, provided for the Jersey City Quartermaster Depot.

#14L69

Uses:

Bought for resale through (foreign?) post exchanges. Resale price slightly above cost price, just sufficient to cover handling.

I'm not sure what these pages are telling me. Other than three model knives; the engineer knife, the AAF knife, and the TL-29 were made to be sold thru the PX system. I'm wondering if it can be determined if production of the AAF model (S6018) knife may have continued into 1944 and maybe beyond.

I have not seen a 3 line before, interesting!

There is one distinct difference between the AAC S6018 and 14J95C versus the Jersey City QM in that the Jersey City knife is finished black inside, now I have no idea what that is suppose to look like.

IMO I'm still pretty set that the transition was mid to late 1944 to the 3-line and would place my money on it being PX model, that is my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing

• 1 month later...

Recently I have obtained some new documents discussing jack knives and I think a very important point should be made when discussing these three bladed knives. Like many things in our collecting hobby items often get absorbed into one classification much like these 3 bladed pocket knives which are almost always referenced as the Army Air Corp Knife and I am at fault in this habit. The fact is that this pattern of knife is also navy. Within the navy this pattern is classed by the Bureau of Aeronautics and Bureau of Supplies and Accounts and when adding PX into the mix this pattern is available and classed by four sources. This pattern of knife can be referenced under a Naval Aircraft Factory part number, general Navy Department specification and is a Quartermaster PX item.

In the last addition to the topic and is part of habit a connection to the AAF was trying to be made in which I completely neglected in my last response. The important fact here is that these knives are not proprietary to the AAF.

• 5 months later...

I ran across this the other day. The tang stamp on this one really makes me try and rethink how long these knives were around.

I've never had any luck finding this pattern knife represented in any Camillus catalog post WW2.

post-17422-0-97927900-1421869356.jpg

The knife is often referred to as a Cattleman, this knife has the underlined CAMILLUS which I have always associated with post war, late 40's when this change occurred.

The knife is often referred to as a Cattleman, this knife has the underlined CAMILLUS which I have always associated with post war, late 40's when this change occurred.

I don't specifically collect the folding (pocket) knives although I have picked up a few Camillus versions over the years, mostly from veterans or their families.

I don't know when the change from the 3 line without underlined to the three line with CAMILLUS underlined happened. I will note that the 1946 Camillus catalog (http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Catalogs/1946-Camilluss.pdf) shows the underlined mark in their parts drawing (page 7). On their #67 Stockman illustration they show a clip point main blade instead of the spear point, and also comment that the main blades will be numbered to match their catalog numbers.

Of course during the period from the close of the war to the full reintegration of their line into commercial sales, there may well have been a period when they "used up" parts on hand to sell commercially. In any period of transition there will be anomalies that don't match what the books show.

I have a late Engineer knife (or early #99 Camp) that has the underlined mark. Unfortunately it came from a family member after the veteran was deceased, but they said that he brought it home with him. All the normal late features, with new style can opener, long screwdriver/caplifter, long shackle, brass liners, FG stag handles. Bolsters and shackle are steel, not nickel silver, no shield. I would feel this is either late military or very early commercial.

This is the sort of thing that makes collecting interesting to me, and I really appreciate the efforts of Dustin and others in providing information that helps develop the history of these knives. Most of the pocketknives are still fairly common and reasonably inexpensive and make an attractive collecting field for those of us on a tight budget.