Great-Grandfather's WW2 Bring Back

chardin43

My grandfather brought back this flag from ww2. I am not sure how or where he got it, just that it is now in my possession. Any info on it would be awesome. post-136805-0-42809400-1382397671.jpgpost-136805-0-92652900-1382397681.jpgpost-136805-0-05376500-1382397696.jpg

Here are some details for you.

On the bunting is the Eagle "M" stamp.

M stands for Marine ( German Navy ).

Reichskriegsflg. translates to National War Flag.

And of course 1.5 X 2.5 meters are the measurements.

In you photo you have the flag upside down.

The flag was instituted in 1935 and was used on Naval vessels, buildings and by 1944 was used by all branches of the military.

Really nice flag. Keep it in the family. The time is now to write down grandpa's name and military data, and any info other you have, and keep it with the flag for furture generations. May not be important to you now (or it may be), but it will be. You can ask your parents and relatives, particularly the older ones, if your grand dad told them anything about it, and make note of their observations. I have been able to piece together family history from just asking questions from aunts, uncles, siblings, and cousins; everyone has a piece of the puzzle that you can add together. Very good family keepsake, there. Take care of it. Or, I will be happy to give you $25 American Dollars Ca$h for it, but you must act NOW!

Thanks for all the information on the flag and the tips. To, mcmike, while that is a tempting offer I may have to pass on that one! :D

Here are some details for you.

On the bunting is the Eagle "M" stamp.

M stands for Marine ( German Navy ).

Reichskriegsflg. translates to National War Flag.

And of course 1.5 X 2.5 meters are the measurements.

In you photo you have the flag upside down.

The flag was instituted in 1935 and was used on Naval vessels, buildings and by 1944 was used by all branches of the military.

Thanks for the info. The pictures came out a little weird because I had to transfer them from my phone and resize them and then post them on here. I am still trying to master how to get my pictures to come out nice and straight. Again, thanks for the help!

That is a very nice flag. Do you know what branch of the service your great grandfather was in?

Yes, from what I can tell he was Army. I have his Ike and an Army training manual as well that I believe to be his.