WWI Camillus Rope Knives

Still-A-Marine

Still-A-Marine

Here are my Camillus rope knives. The top two are the ones I want to discuss. The top two are bone with a little different blade shape. I think these are the knife pictured in Mike Silvey's Pocket Knives of the United States Military on page 38. The top one has the 4 line Camillus marking. The second one has the 3 line Camillus hyphenated marking (CAMILLUS / CUTLERY CO / NEW-YORK) as shown on page 38. I think the clevis has been replaced on both. Neither has the UNITED STATES NAVY etching on the blade but I would think that would wear off pretty easily.

To me it appears the blades are the same on the top two. The top knife with the 4 line Camillus marking is not the WWII version as seen on the bottom three. I would think this is a case of the marking changing from the 3 line hyphenated version to the 4 line version. What do ya'll think?

Top to Bottom:

WWI: CAMILLUS / CUTLERY CO. / CAMILLUS, N.Y. / U.S.A.

WWI: CAMILLUS / CUTLERY CO / NEW-YORK

WWII: CAMILLUS / CUTLERY CO. / CAMILLUS.N.Y. / U.S.A. (no USCG marking)

WWII: CAMILLUS / CUTLERY CO. / CAMILLUS.N.Y. / U.S.A. with APPROVED / U S C G / 1944 Q5

WWII: CAMILLUS / NEW YORK / U.S.A. with APPROVED / U S C G / 1944 Q5

Bill

post-4347-0-80606300-1382329598.jpg

Still-A-Marine

Let me ask the question a little differently. Do you think the top knife in the picture (4 line bone Camillus) is WWI or WWII?

Bill

Bill

Great collection ! I have a nice spot picked out for all five :D .........when I find them.

I beleive the top one could be WWI. I did read some place that these were made prior to the 20's, maybe earler. I do not have any paperwork on this but may be one guys, or ladies will.

Tony

Let me ask the question a little differently. Do you think the top knife in the picture (4 line bone Camillus) is WWI or WWII?

Bill

According to Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings the 3 line hyphenated NEW-YORK was used 1915-1918 and the 4 line began in 1919.

I have 5 different WW1 era Camillus pocket knives - the small rope type w/ manicure blade, the 3 blade Signal Corps, the Signal Corps electricians, the Marlin Spike, and the "Red Cross" knife. All these have the 4 line marking.

I'm certainly no expert on anything, but I'm betting the 4 line started sometime before 1919 and yours is in that transitional period.

Still-A-Marine

According to Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings the 3 line hyphenated NEW-YORK was used 1915-1918 and the 4 line began in 1919.

I have 5 different WW1 era Camillus pocket knives - the small rope type w/ manicure blade, the 3 blade Signal Corps, the Signal Corps electricians, the Marlin Spike, and the "Red Cross" knife. All these have the 4 line marking.

I'm certainly no expert on anything, but I'm betting the 4 line started sometime before 1919 and yours is in that transitional period.

I also have the "New Navy" (small rope type with manicure blade), "Red Cross", and Marlin Spike. All with the 4 line marking. The "Red Cross" and the rope knife with manicure are supposed to be WWI. The Marlin Spike is supposed to be WWII.

I agree with your thinking - transitional.

Thanks for the information from Goins. I may have to get me a copy.

Bill

• 1 year later...
Still-A-Marine

Are you available Still- a- Marine? I would love to talk to you about your Camillus knives please .

Gary

Yep. I'm still around.

Bill

Fantastic Bill. I am in the process of tracking down some of these rope knives from the past. I have had some good luck so I can't complain. You have a terrific collection and I am in a rut with some Camillus knives. Any recommendation on where or how to find the WW1 model would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Gary

Still-A-Marine

I have had some luck on eBay. I have found them misslabeled and with poor pictures. Using photoshop I was able to make the pictures reveal enough for me to feel comfortable bidding.

Bill

• 5 months later...

Your welcome, I thought it a bit significant as it mentions "of an approved type" and it describes these rope knives quite well.