WW II Silver Star repack

jmar

Hello everyone!

I hope you are are doing well. I've been busy compiling and writing a reference post, I hope to be done soon!

In the mean time while going through one of my cabinets I found this interesting Silver Star I've had for many years. I've seen decorations like this before, WW II vintage, but "repacked" in one way or another for later use. The typical yellow foam insert was under the pad.

Here's the info for this little beauty:

Standard Arrow case

Clutch-back ribbon bar (LI-GI marked) This has been there a long time, a deep crease in the plush

Button style lapel device

Named/numbered Silver Star (77583)

Crimp brooch HLP-GI mark with CN-GI overstrike

I've got a Bronze Star (somewhere) in it's brown shipping carton with a Lordship stamp, it's in it's original WW II case. It was sealed when I got it, but I did open it carefully, glad I did since there was a yellow foam insert which had turned orange from age in the case (which would have destroyed the medal). Another repack?

I'd be very interested in hearing of other examples of "recycling" of older medals where packing, brooches, and cases were changed out. Please post away!!

A side note, I unfortunately do not have any info (yet) on the honored veteran to whom this Silver Star was awarded. I thank him and all those who have served and presently serve.

My best to you all!

Joe

post-48324-0-32024500-1382306075.jpg

Hi DH!

You know, I never noticed that before. Perhaps an I & R too, I'll have to check Gleim and the number ranges!

Thank you for your post and comments.

Joe

Already posted on the forum, a PH number 481.271 with enameled heart (Robbin's Company) repacked and reribboned by WIlliams and Anderson for a 1969 contract, but still in the WWII box.

phcasecarton.jpg

ph69bte.jpg

ph481271-2.jpg