Officer collar EGA from late WWII period

robert60446

robert60446

Hi guys,

I have another small addition to my collection. Officer collar EGA from late WWII period (I think). Product of H&H Company...

post-2829-1209156849.jpg

It's actually a 'sweetheart' piece from the WWII era. Officer's collars do not have fouled anchors, only the hat ornaments have that feature. Nice pics.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

at one point this probably had gold wash on the continents. Bobgee is right, it's a sweetheart piece. H&H was known to make them from dies, such as this one...

H_H_1.jpg

H_H_2.jpg

robert60446

Hi Bob,

How long should be hat ornament from that design? I have assumed it was collar piece because it was similar in size to this emblem (actually is slightly bigger)...

post-2829-1209161280.jpg

It was made from the same dies as the collar emblem, it's the rope and pinback that give it away as sweetheart

teufelhunde.ret

Robert, the change in the collar emblem came about in 1960 at the recommendation of the Uniform Board and approved by Gen. Shoup. While all manufactures held to the overall dimensions specified, each had its own design... which lead to the Board's decision to start using the Marine Corps seal as the official design, thus the fouled anchor on Officer collar emblems appeared. But, not until 1962 did the current design make it to the uniform shops as all the manufactures needed to move current stocks and re-tool production. I'm sure Bobgee could speak to the subject better than I, but I recall seeing senior officer wearing the older design well past that date... so long as they were serviceable. s/f Darrell