34th Infantry Regiment DUI - Red Cloth Backer?

TRR

It might be Japanese made? a company named Vulkan had these type of bases on their clutch posts, some examples had their name Vulkan hallmarked on the back and some did not have their name. While true the 34th Infantry, 24th Inf Div was in West Germany alot of years, it was also in Japan. The 34th Infantry being basically wiped out in Korea, was inactivated, it was reformed in early 1952, when it's old parent Division the 24th Inf Div was withdrawn from Korea and resumed Garrison Duty in Japan

It might be Japanese made? a company named Vulkan had these type of bases on their clutch posts, some examples had their name Vulkan hallmarked on the back and some did not have their name. While true the 34th Infantry, 24th Inf Div was in West Germany alot of years, it was also in Japan. The 34th Infantry being basically wiped out in Korea, was inactivated, it was reformed in early 1952, when it's old parent Division the 24th Inf Div was withdrawn from Korea and resumed Garrison Duty in Japan

Interesting stuff. Do you have picture of a Vulkan DUI with these pin bases. All the Japan made stuff I have has large bases like these but are flat, these are tall in the center.

Still nothing on the backer?

Interesting stuff. Do you have picture of a Vulkan DUI with these pin bases. All the Japan made stuff I have has large bases like these but are flat, these are tall in the center.

Still nothing on the backer?

It's possible your right then, they could not be Japanese, can't find a image though, I just threw the Japanese connection out there as a perhaps, given that this unit was in Japan before it was sent to West Germany. Perhaps more members can give their take. No idea on the backing, I'm interested to know too what that is, Scott G's suggestion seems the most plausible, a Battalion designator.

When I was stationed in Germany from 1975-1978, the practice of different colored backings on DUIs was very popular. They did indeed denote different battalions. I was part of 3rd Battalion, 36th Infantry and we wore the plain DUI. 2nd Battalion wore a yellow circle, usually mad e of felt, behind their DUIs. I never saw this stateside. I do not know if this only happened in Germany, or if it was also done elsewhere overseas.

When I was stationed in Germany from 1975-1978, the practice of different colored backings on DUIs was very popular. They did indeed denote different battalions. I was part of 3rd Battalion, 36th Infantry and we wore the plain DUI. 2nd Battalion wore a yellow circle, usually mad e of felt, behind their DUIs. I never saw this stateside. I do not know if this only happened in Germany, or if it was also done elsewhere overseas.

Steve can you post your quote in even smaller format :lol:

This would be when you were in the 3rd Armd Div correct?

Yes that was when I was with the 3AD.

I don't know why the font came out so small! It does that every now and then on this computer. I even selected a larger size, but it still came out in miniature. Sorry!

Yes that was when I was with the 3AD.

I don't know why the font came out so small! It does that every now and then on this computer. I even selected a larger size, but it still came out in miniature. Sorry!

Thank's Steve, we all had to use our magnifying glasses on that last one :lol:

Awesome information Steve, thanks!

I wonder why this has not been seen more being this was a 70s thing, you would think the backers would be more common to find. Perhaps it was restricted to a few units in Germany, like the Blue beret for Fort Campbell, and thus not a popular item.

Awesome information Steve, thanks!

I wonder why this has not been seen more being this was a 70s thing, you would think the backers would be more common to find. Perhaps it was restricted to a few units in Germany, like the Blue beret for Fort Campbell, and thus not a popular item.

If it was worn in West Germany it would have to be from the late 50s to around 1969. The 24th Inf Div was transfered out in Feburary 1969 (minus one Brigade, the 3rd, no Battalions of the 34th where in this Brigade, they were in the 2nd) to Fort Riley. In April 1970 upon the return of the Big Red One's colors from South Vietnam in April 1970, the Victory Division was inactivated and reflagged (it's Brigade in Germany inactived there). Not sure if this would of been used after the Division was reactivated at Stewart in the fall of 1975, you know seeing that the DI is a foreign made one, German more than likely now.

Great DI . How rare is the red cloth backing ?

Ed

I think it's pretty rare, no seems to have seen this type of shield backing for the 34th Inf, and we're all basically stumped as to origin and time period. Anyone got any 24th Infantry Division yearbooks from the 50s though the 60s?

However here's a update though, from around 1957 to 1963, two other units of the 34th Infantry served in Divisions other than it's traditional 24th Division, the 2nd Battle Group 34th Infantry, this unit served as a official component of the 7th Infantry Division in South Korea, the 3rd Battle Group 34th Infantry, this unit served as an official component of the 79th Infantry Division, the 79th Div at this time being a full active Reserve Combat Division of the Army Reserve in Pennsylvania. So we might have to look at these two CARS Battle Groups as well now :o:blink:

While I can’t add to the discussion on the date of the backing I’d thought I share mine with the group as well. As you can see mine has a blue backing. I was always intrigued by this DI and the backing but have never been able to turn anything up on its wear. I have this marked in my notes as being German made too. This particular DI was purchased in a bag lot of DI’s so there was no help in where it came from.

Best,

Brent

post-1118-0-06991000-1382221262.jpg

post-1118-0-30402300-1382221272.jpg

I'm fairly certain these are 1960's era, from their time in Germany with the 24th Div.

I have seen the red one before, and have a woven "combat leaders" loop made with this DI and a red border. I found it in a collection of mid 1960s 24th Div insignia.

I have always figured it was for 1st BN. "Red-white-blue" seems a some what common "code" for "1-2-3" in the Army.

-Vance

There was as of 1963-64 till 1969 only two battalions of the 34h Infantry in the 24th Div, these battalions were the 1st and 2nd Battalions (2nd Battalion formally with the 7th Inf Div as a Battle Group approx 1957-59 to 1963), that would mean only two colors, we seen the Red and the Blue (Light Blue?) backings, that leaves the White, the only other battalion active was the 3rd, as a Battle Group in the Army Reserve 79th Inf Div in Penna, it was inactivated in March 1963 when the old 79th Inf Div would in short order be redesignated an Command Headquarters and later still in 1968 a Army Command ARCOM, though unsure if this Battalion when it was a Battle Group in the 79th Div wore a backing White or otherwise.

The 24th Inf Div still did had all three of it's 34th Infantry Battalions with it up till October 1957 when it was in South Korea earlier in Japan (it went back to Korea right before the war ended having been sent back to Japan in late 1951 early 1952) after this point in late 1957 it was reduced to zero strength and left in limbo till it was formed up again in around 9 months later in July 1958 in West Germany. But here it fell under the CARS reorganization, and had only one of it's 34th Infantry CARS Battle Groups assigned to it, the 1st, the other two as mentioned were sent to the 7th Div and the 79th Div. So an overall intersting topic.

Wow, great to see a blue type with the same construction and German made DUI. How odd that it seems no one has found any of these with a named uniform group but always random insignia collections. Perhaps it was short-lived and never got left on a uniform that has been discovered.

I am going to keep an eye out for some yearbooks, maybe that will shed some light on the topic.

Thanks for all the input gents!

Could these backings be an inter Battle Group/Battalion thing? nah, that would mean more then the two colors we've seen so far, as there were any were's up to 5 companies in a unit like this.