WWI 9 & 10 pocket ammo belt & pistol belt makers.

Mitter2k1

Le Dirk

This looks like a Russell belt. The pocket bottoms are gathered differently than those made by Mills.

Bob

Yes Sir it is, that's what Mike was asking for.

Here are a couple more flys for the iontment. First is a model 1918 modified made by Long 1918. The Army realized some guys were just plain skinny and moved the adjustment buckle in a few inches on each side.

post-3384-0-43466900-1386548462.jpg

The other two made by Long 1918 and Plant Bros 1918 both have rounded flaps.

post-3384-0-63679400-1386548537.jpg

Bob

Here are a couple more flys for the iontment. First is a model 1918 modified made by Long 1918. The Army realized some guys were just plain skinny and moved the adjustment buckle in a few inches on each side.

The other two made by Long 1918 and Plant Bros 1918 both have rounded flaps.

Bob

Those are interesting. My belts by Long and Plant Bros. have the standard folded and sewn flaps. Are they the heavier woven material or sewn canvas?

Mike

Mine is also made by Long 1-1918. It is a sewn belt of standard weight material but the flaps appear to be heavy woven material with sewn edges

post-551-0-31056100-1386555522.jpg

Mine are the same material as yours. I imagine whatever method was cheeper and faster was the one they went with. Or they may have subcontracted with another weaver for the flaps and added them to their belts.

Just a thought.

Bob

Thanks for chewing the fat with me last night Bob. I learned a great deal from our conversation. It looks like I have quite a bit of work ahead of me putting a list together. I have a question though about the M1918 9 pocket belts. Do you know offhand when they started adding the snap for the magazine pouches?

Mike M.

Mike

Great chatting with you as well. The snaps you are refering too I assume are for the small strap to hold the second clip in the pocket. They came out with the M-23 belt. I don't know of any that were made before 1941.

Bob

I'm sorry what I meant was the snaps in the blank spot that would snap to the .45 magazine pouch. My PB&Co doesn't have it and I was curious when they added these.

Mike

Mike M.

Thanks for adding these. I'm trying to compile a list of makers of the belts used in WWI and it's nice to have pics to go by. I'm also taking notes on variations as I go. Hopefully I can come up with something like a wall chart.

Mike

I almost forgot. Does anyone know why the Oval grommets were only used on one side of the 10 pocket belts? And when snaps were added for mag pouches on the M1918 cavalry belts? I've been searching but can't find an answer.

Thanks,

Mike

I believe it was for doubling up attachments so you didn't gaps between

Right. But why was it done on only the female side of the belts with LTD fasteners?

Mike