WWI Estate Purchase

Wedgehead30

So one of the local estate liquidators called to tell me she had some "old army stuff" for me. Suffice to say I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I got a lot of research ahead of me.

post-124172-0-71642100-1381712206.jpgpost-124172-0-87986400-1381712257.jpg

You can always tell a frequent seller by the USPS boxes piled up along the sides of the room ;) That's a snazzy little collection, what's the summary of what you got?

It looks like one heck of a pick up. I love seeing the WWI stuff and the maps have me intrigued. What area are they of by chance?

This is the one that has me most intrigued. All of the notes and figures are hand written. I'm working on figuring it out.post-124172-0-36467900-1381714447.jpg

Buzancy is a region in France where a large engagement took place during the 3rd Battle of the Aisne....possibly depicting troop movements and activity?

Philip

I'm curious about what the "Secret" is.

It is most likely the original wartime classification for the map once it was "marked up" with the plan of attack or unit positions.

Buzancy is a region in France where a large engagement took place during the 3rd Battle of the Aisne....possibly depicting troop movements and activity?

Philip

The village of Buzancy on the map in not the one in Aisne, but another in the french Ardennes ... 80 km east from the Aisne's Buzancy.

The US 1st Army took part of the Chesne and Buzancy battle, from the 1st to 5th of november 1918, just before the Armistice.

• 3 years later...