FIREBALL PILOT ! Large group to an 8th AAF B-17 Pilot 457th BG

KASTAUFFER

This group is one of the most complete I have found to an 8th AAF B-17 pilot . He flew 30 missions between June and Sept 1944 with the 457th Bomb Group and made it home. I don't have his A-2 or combat Flight Log, but the rest tells the story of a typical 8th Air Force pilot who survived to complete his tour in 1944.

When you look at the photo of him, you can tell the uniform below is the same in the photo. Even the ribbon bars match.

MVC-027L.JPG

MVC-042L.JPG

MVC-043L.JPG

The thread is dedicated to the memory of the men of " The Fireball Outfit" , the 457th Bomb Group who didn't make it home during the war.

457th.JPG

Very Nice group Kurt! I have a special place in my heart for the 457th. The first A-2 jacket grouping that I ever bought (And Still Have) was to a 457th BG Navigator that was one of the original crews that flew planes over there from the U.S. and flew the first missions of the Group.

Congrats on a very nice set.

JD

Kurt,

They do not get any better than this group. Unbelievable the number of missions to Germany but lucky for him only one trip to Berlin. God Bless Him and the ones that did not make it home fighting for our freedom.

John