M1917 helmet manufacturers stamp

denfly

I have a number of M1917 helmets and most have the manufacturers mark starting with "Z". I also noticed one I have with an "X" stamped on it. It is US because the rivets are not split and it has the tag inside about tightening the cord etc. Is this rare and or a limited production run? I have 2 with the letters, "U" and 2 with "Y" although that one is kinda common. It makes sense if production runs were as follows; "U", "X", "Y" and "Z". "V" was ommited because England had a company called Vickers and "W" would be confused with the letter "M" if positioned wrong. (just guessing on that one) So any input would be appreciated. The base of the bail is rounded on the "X" helmet as you can see in the pictures compared with the squared type on others.

All of the evidence I've found points to the markings being copied from the British format. The first letter is the steel supplier, the second letter is the company that pressed the helmet and the number is the lot.

There are some that don't fit that pattern, including the ones starting with X. I suspect these outliers are from the the first experimental lots made in the summer of 1917, since when the liners have dates, they are almost invariably 1917.

Yes on the "W" for a British Co. known as William Dobson Mfg. Haven't seen one though. Thanks for the info on the M1917's. Too bad it's missing the liner so so I can't put a date on the "X" helmet. I noticed too that "Y" stamped helmets always follows with a "J". I have yet to see one followed by another letter. Again, many thanks for the info.

U.S. with a "W"? Wow that has to be rare indeed. I have ZA, ZD and ZC. I have seen ZJ, ZB etc.most have 2 digit numbers and Iv'e noticed 3 digit numbers that I assume were made later perhaps post WW1. The M1917A1's have 2 digits and a letter for example "19D", that's how I can tell an original M1917A1 from a re-lined M1917 made into a M1917A1.

• 1 year later...

Not to sound like a pain, but how does one determine the second letter suffix to the manufacturer? For example a helmet with ZC was made by what company? ZD, etc. I know there were 7 companies. How were they listed alphabetically?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

As far as I can make out, the most likely scenario is that the letters were assigned in the order the companies were awarded contracts.

Would a M1917 helmet with "ZA0" be an early production run?

Chris

The ZA0 helmets are interesting. Company A was involved in some early experimental work and initially devised their own letter codes to identify the different heats of steel. Once m1917 helmet production began to ramp up, they asked to maintain their own marking scheme, but the Ordnance Department told them that they'd have to adopt the same marking system as the rest of the companies. The highest letter I've seen using the company's system is O, and the O looks the same as the one in ZA0. My hypothesis is that these were the last of the experimental lots, and the company switched over to the Ordnance Department marking system partway through the manufacturing process. I haven't found a document that confirms this, but one piece of evidence in favor of the hypothesis is that the Ordnance Department list of lot numbers starts with 1, not 0.

The ZA0 helmets are interesting. Company A was involved in some early experimental work and initially devised their own letter codes to identify the different heats of steel. Once m1917 helmet production began to ramp up, they asked to maintain their own marking scheme, but the Ordnance Department told them that they'd have to adopt the same marking system as the rest of the companies. The highest letter I've seen using the company's system is O, and the O looks the same as the one in ZA0. My hypothesis is that these were the last of the experimental lots, and the company switched over to the Ordnance Department marking system partway through the manufacturing process. I haven't found a document that confirms this, but one piece of evidence in favor of the hypothesis is that the Ordnance Department list of lot numbers starts with 1, not 0.

Fascinating theory, very reasonable and plausible. I really wish some more documentary evidence could be found and I very much appreciate your work in this under appreciated area of helmet collecting.

I recently purchased a "ZA0" helmet on eBay and am waiting for it's arrival. I would think that it would be a very early example on the US M1917.

Chris