Restoring a Field Jacket.... Opinions please?

Jungle Rot

A while back I received my grandfather's M1951 field jacket. It's missing all of the insignia except for his nametape, but what was once there has left clear fade/stitch marks, so I know exactly what was once on it (4th ID patch, Gold/Black US Army tape, and basic jump wings). I'd like to return it to it's former glory by replacing the lost insignia, but I can't decide if I should. I don't have any worry about ruining the jacket, as I've been sewing for a long time and trust myself with a needle or thread, but for some reason I have some doubt in me on whether or not I actually should. Should I reattach the lost insignia with original early 60's patches, or simply leave it as is?

Thanks,
Brent

In my opinion, I see no reason why it shouldn't be sympathetically restored. You'd need to find period insignia which exhibits the same degree of wear/fading as the jacket, of course....but go for it!

I would say, it all depends on you feelings, when you look at it after you sewn on the insignia's, yes it will be you grandfather's field jacket, but they wont be his insignia's, if you had it framed, with the correct insignia's placed with it, like I said, it all depends on your feelings.