Help ID a Shearling Jacket please...

strawberry 9

strawberry 9

I just purchased a grouping off of Ebay and am curious about the shearling jacket. It's not like any B-3 I have seen. No label. Any help would be much appreciated.

FRONT:

post-100432-0-58074200-1381208450.jpg

Looks like a D1 to me. The shearling is trimmed thinner than a B3 and lacks any pockets. These we issued to ground personnel but we often re-appropriated to the airmen. It would have been paired with B1 trousers. There are a lot of variants of the D1, some with front zipper pockets others with none. I have seen the diagonal seam construction on the arms and lower before but do not remember which specific contract this would have been with. It looks to have a Crown zipper on it (nice bonus), be careful with it they can be delicate zippers.

Nice looking jacket. You see less of these than the B3s but I like their simplistic cut and style.

strawberry 9

Thank you Mr_Lits...I have a D1 also but it is different from this jacket so I wasn't sure. Here is a shot of the entire grouping complete with B1 trousers and B2 cap.

post-100432-0-76153100-1381210787.jpg

Looks like you got nice little set there. Thanks for sharing, I'll see if I can dig up any contract lists for the D1s...

Looks to be in great overall shape. Old shearling jackets can become "crusty" and the shearling collars flat and matted, but yours appears to be still clean and supple...and probably still wearable (not that I'd recommend it!) Look how much $$$ you potentially saved yourself! (not identical but in the ball-park) £699.99 = $ 1125!! :o

http://www.eastmanleather.com/product_info.php?products_id=178

doinworkinvans

Jacket, Type D-1
spec. no. 94-3084
spec. no. 94-3084-A

8300 469000

- H.I.B.CORPORATION
- THE PAUL REED Co.
- WAVERSHOE TRIMMING Co.Inc.
- WESTERN LEATHER CLOTHING Co.
- WERBER SPORTSWEAR Co. (Newburgh, N.Y.)

Contracts for D-1's...although I am sure there may be more!

strawberry 9

Thanks again all. I look forward to getting this group in hand. Both the pants and the jacket are named inside to an "Abrams" so hopefully I can do some research.

Look on the back of the neck as the early D-1s had contract information embossed there. Those were made in the late 30s if I'm not mistaken.

"27TH DIV COLLECTOR " would love to see this !!!! he has few D1's by different makers looks the dogs cahonas to me !!!!!

LB

27thdivcollector

It is a D-1 jacket, made by the San Antonio Air Depot, if you look at the back of the collar on the reinforced piece of leather where the chain hangs or hung, it will be stamped S.A.A.D. into the leather. The 4 panel back, the diagonal stitched sleeve and the diagonal stitched seams on the body identify as a S.A.A.D. manufactured jacket.

Nice eh Andy ??? im glad you mentioned the S.A.A.D I had my thoughts on it but wasnt 100% those guys over the pond get some good gear dont they ???

LB

It is a D-1 jacket, made by the San Antonio Air Depot, if you look at the back of the collar on the reinforced piece of leather where the chain hangs or hung, it will be stamped S.A.A.D. into the leather. The 4 panel back, the diagonal stitched sleeve and the diagonal stitched seams on the body identify as a S.A.A.D. manufactured jacket.

Yep, that's exactly what it should say. I've had one before, I just couldn't remember all the details.

OK, I got the grouping in the mail today and am very happy with it. I took a look on the back and Stony and 27thdivcollector were both right. It says;

TYPE-D1

PT NO 37K5510

MFG SAAD
SMALL

Thanks for the help all!