• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hardlax

hardlax
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 12,413
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hi all.  I’ve been a very long time reader and visitor to this site and I’ve learned a great deal of information.  I’ve not posted much, as my collection is fairly small at this point.  I’ve got two young daughters, so not a heck of a lot of money for “toys” for me.

However, I wanted to post a uniform grouping I picked up not too long ago.  The uniform group consists of the 4 pocket service tunic, wool service slacks, wool overseas hat (piped for armored), and a khaki overseas cap.  This grouping belonged to a Sgt. in G. Company, 67th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division.  This gentleman was awarded a silver star for actions in Sicily in July 1943.  I’m looking to restore this uniform with ribbons, DUI, etc.  Any advice on where to acquire some of these items is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to Geoff at Golden Arrow for helping me research this man!

Here is a summary of the records: He enlisted in March 1941. He went directly into the 67th Armored Regiment because the unit is listed on his VA card which was made when he went in. However, the unit's records only start up in January 1942. At this point there is a duty roster which is really neat showing his job at this point was a tank driver and a private. In February he was promoted to Corporal and his MOS changed to 610(which I believe means he was part of an antitank gun crew). The unit left for overseas in October aboard the U.S.S. Calvert. He arrived in North Africa with the 2nd Armored in November 1942 and fought in North Africa.  In April 1943 he was busted back down to private. In May he was promoted back to Cpl. again. He landed with the 2nd Armored in Sicily and fought this campaign. He was awarded the Silver Star for actions near Gela, Sicily in July, 1943. He was withdrawn out of Palermo in November/December 1943 (I think) and sent to the UK to prepare for the invasion of France.  In April he was promoted to Tech 4 MOS 736. It appears he embarked for France on 6/10/1944 and en route, the ship carrying G. Company, 67th armored (L.S.T. 1030) hit a mine off the coast of France.  As a result, the company lost 17 tanks, 1-T-2 tank recovery unit, 1 ¼-ton t4x4 truck in material.  Additionally, they suffered 15 slightly wounded, 7 MIA. They obviously saw heavy action in Europe. This gentleman was wounded by shrapnel on 10/5/1944 in Ubach. Germany.  He rejoined the unit in November 1944 from the 18th replacement depot. He was made Sgt. (I believe this would mean he was the NCO for his tank crew …). In March he was sent back to the U.S.  In late May they dropped him from the rolls as he was discharged in June, 1945.

His awards (which I need to replace) include the following (please excuse improper nomenclature):

1. EAME ribbon with 1 arrowhead, 1 bronze battle star, 1 silver battle star
  2. Good Conduct Medal ribbon
  3. Purple Heart ribbon
  4. Silver Star ribbon
  5. American Campaign Medal ribbon
  6. WWII Victory medal ribbon
  7. Marksman badge with pistol bar
  8. Expert badge with machine gun bar
  9. PUC ribbon (is this correct?)
  10.  Bronze Star medal ribbon (file states “the BSM is based on the award of the CIB”
  11. CIB

Anyway, I just wanted to try to contribute back to this community.  I hope you’ve enjoyed reading and viewing!

Attached Images

• 10-7-13 2.jpg
  • 10-7-13 1.jpg

#2 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,224
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

If he enlisted in March 1941 he would have been authorized a American Defense Service Medal. Also do his records indicate he received a CIB, not unheard of Armor soldiers getting them but you did not list it.

Regards,

John

#3 hardlax

hardlax
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi John,

Thank you for the information.  No, his records do not have him authorized for an American Defense Service Medal.

Yes, his records do indicate he received a CIB.  I thought I did mention it, but it is likely buried in the text above.  I'm afraid the formatting was thrown off a bit when I posted. :-)  Is it common for him to have been awarded a BSM based on the award of the CIB?  His records state "The Bronze Star Medal is based on the award of the Combat Infantryman Badge".  Is that something seen often?

Josh

Edited by hardlax, 07 October 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#4 gpw_42

gpw_42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,938
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Is it common for him to have been awarded a BSM based on the award of the CIB?  His records state "The Bronze Star Medal is based on the award of the Combat Infantryman Badge".  Is that something seen often?

Josh,

Nice score. 2AD uniforms are not uncommon, but neither are they common. This vet clearly had a lot of service with all those campaigns under his belt.

To answer your question, yes, it was common for the BSM to be awarded based on the CIB. I believe that in 1947(?) the Army went back and made widespread, retroactive, awards of the BSM for recipients of the CIB. With a discharge in mid-late 1945, he likely never wore the BSM on this tunic.

Again, nice addition to your collection. You may want to contact Erwin (Jeeper864 I think is his handle), who's an advanced Armor and TD collector here on the forum.

Steve

#5 hardlax

hardlax
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hey Steve,

Thanks very much for the information on the BSM. Based on the information you provided, I likely won't include the BSM on the jacket.  This man sent a letter to the U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center in St. Louis back in1992 requesting any medals he was entitled to.  The 1992 dated response is when it mentions the BSM being awarded based on the CIB.  I really appreciate your response and help!

My attraction to this uniform was that it was pretty affordable and clearly named and marked, so I knew I had a good chance of researching this gentleman.  It's really very interesting material to read.

Josh

#6 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 78
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I have the history of the 67th AR.  If you can give any dates you are interested in, I can see what I can find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)