58 replies to this topic

#51 rustywings

rustywings

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 7,548
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

I picked up this Kinney Company hallmarked USMC sweetheart or overseas cap piece a few weeks ago.  The application of the EGA to the shield of a Navy Aviator badge was never authorized...but it sure makes for a handsome piece.  The wing is a little over 1.5 inches in width.  I believe this was made in the late 1920's to mid-1930 era.

Attached Images

• IMG_5304.JPG

#52 rustywings

rustywings

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

I think this badge started out looking near identical to the one Patrick illustrated in Post #37 listed above.  A jeweler then cut off the upper and lower portions of the original anchor to accommodate the application of the EGA symbol.  Professionally done, but I'm not sure if the Kinney Company added the USMC modifications...or it was done by a private jeweler at a later date?

Attached Images

• IMG_5300.JPG

#53 rustywings

rustywings

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Slightly different view...

Attached Images

• IMG_5298.JPG

#54 TCSchultz

TCSchultz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 17,286
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

I was not familiar with this hallmark until I starting researching a set of 1 9/16" pinback wings that I found in a thrift store for $25.00 this week and came across this thread on Kinney Co. wings here in the forum so I thought I'd start it back up again.  Here's the pictures and it was the nice detail on the feathers that caught my eye when I looked at them.  That plus the unknown at the time hallmark and the drop in pinback clasp as well as being Sterling marked sealed the deal and happy to have them to add to my collection. 

MVC-001L.JPG

Attached Images

• MVC-002L.JPG

#55 TCSchultz

TCSchultz
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

And here's a close up of the hallmark.

MVC-003L.JPG

#56 rustywings

rustywings

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

I was not familiar with this hallmark until I starting researching a set of 1 9/16" pinback wings that I found in a thrift store for $25.00 this week and came across this thread on Kinney Co. wings here in the forum so I thought I'd start it back up again.  Here's the pictures and it was the nice detail on the feathers that caught my eye when I looked at them.  That plus the unknown at the time hallmark and the drop in pinback clasp as well as being Sterling marked sealed the deal and happy to have them to add to my collection. 

attachicon.gifMVC-001L.JPG

That's a nice addition to your collection!  You've got to love that extra feathering detail Kinney Co is known for!

#57 TCSchultz

TCSchultz
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Thanks and I do, I had never seem them before and I agree it's the feathering that makes it pop.

#58 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96,854
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

Wow, $877 for a Kinney hallmarked pilot wing tonight.  I wish mine was hallmarked but I'm happy to have even a non-hallmarked one.

#59 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

to the winner of that wing it was worth it to him. an item is worth what some one is willing to pay for it. there is NO set price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users