My Storage/ Catalog Technique

Haditha07USMCR

Haditha07USMCR

I am fortunate enough to have an excessive amount of space for my collection and this is currently my storage closet. I am sure many of you already use the muslin "suit" bags with padded hangers for storage but just wanted to share in case others aren't aware of them. I also use archival boxes for some of my more fragile pieces, which you can see on the top shelf. If you are OCD about preservation both of these storage ways are great, especially when coupled with other pest control systems, and may help you sleep a little more soundly at night.

I also utilize a tag system on the bags, each having an individual accession number which helps me easily ID the contents of each bag. I constructed a digital database system/ hard copy folder system for each piece, which is also referenced via the accession number.

I am by no means an expert with any of this stuff but have been fortunate enough to have worked/ currently work in a museum and archive setting. If anyone has any questions about the methods I use please ask, I am glad to help.

post-24380-0-39926600-1380937546.jpg

That's the way we do it in the museum I am employed at. And as you mentioned, archival quality boxes are the way to go. They cost a bit more than your average cardboard box but what you put in them will most likely have a great deal of historical or monetary value. And don't forget neutral PH sleeves for your photos and paper items...and keeping them out of sunlight as much as possible. When we do displays of historical paperwork, a dirty little secret we have is that we get color photo copies of the paperwork and display them as opposed to displaying the original. The public usually doesn't know the difference and they display quite well.

Haditha07USMCR

Yeah, some point I may take a couple pictures of paper storage techniques. The PH neutral stuff does cost a bit but it pays off in the long run. The archives I worked at did the same thing with the reprinted display copies, even did it with photos. I plan on digitizing all of my paper/ photo's here in the next few months but haven't had the time lately.

Semper Fi

Josh

That's the way we do it in the museum I am employed at. And as you mentioned, archival quality boxes are the way to go. They cost a bit more than your average cardboard box but what you put in them will most likely have a great deal of historical or monetary value. And don't forget neutral PH sleeves for your photos and paper items...and keeping them out of sunlight as much as possible. When we do displays of historical paperwork, a dirty little secret we have is that we get color photo copies of the paperwork and display them as opposed to displaying the original. The public usually doesn't know the difference and they display quite well.

Haditha07USMCR

Appreciate the compliment. I plan on doing a more in-depth post down the road on some of the stuff I am doing. Semper Fi

Do you also inventory items in a computer database with information such as purchase price, where it was bought and from whom, and maybe a photo or two of the item? If so I wouldn't mind seeing how you lay this information out on a sheet. It never crossed me mind to use muslin suit bags or archival boxes. That's an excellent idea!

I wish I was that OCD. I have an excel spreadsheet with the item's number, description, name of the vet, era it is from, cost to me, year of acquisition, estimated value, and a few remarks. I tag mine, but do not have them bagged. I should, but it would break me to do so at 18 a bag right now. If I revise my storage system, I may look into it, as preservation ought to be key with all of us. Truly, hats off to how you get it done.

Haditha07USMCR

I do have a computer based catalog system with a range of details per item. I will try and get some screen shots of how it looks later this week. Thanks for all of the comments.

Josh

Very really nice job with preservation! I need to get a couple fo the archival boxes also.

There's a freeware program called colector's notepad ( http://www.collectornotepad.com/ ) that may be of use.

From their website:

Collector Notepad is a small, free and easy to use program for cataloging of your collection. The simplicity of this program lies in its attribute to contain only the most necessary information of your show-piece; therefore the entry process will not be time consuming. Collector Notepad will be valuable for beginners, who do not want to loose track of their collectables and their features, as well as advanced collectors owning big collections.

The program stores up to three photographs, title, date of acquirement and description. Data can be sorted according to acquirement priority, entry priority and title. When uploading the image, the original photograph remains untouched. Image uploaded onto the program is a copy of the original reduced to the required size.

I do have a computer based catalog system with a range of details per item. I will try and get some screen shots of how it looks later this week. Thanks for all of the comments.

Josh

Look forward to seeing, this! Thanks.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
usmchistorian

Nice!! I have got to get me some of those bags and boxes. I have a lot of paper items and those archival boxes would be perfect. Thank you for sharing. :)