WW2 Fighter Pilots

38Driver

Figured this might be the place. I like to keep an eye out for fighter pilot photos and collect them. Good detail on helmets etc.

Lt. Charles Monsell, 479th Fighter Group

LtCharlesMonsell479-1.jpg

Lt. William McKay 479th FG

LtWilliamMcKay479.jpg

Lt. Glen Hill 479th FG

LtGlenHill479.jpg

Cpt. William Gates 479th FG

CptGates479.jpg

Lt Ed Bickford 354th Fighter Group

EdBickford365thFS.jpg

Unknown P47 pilot. Based on the helmet, I believe he's in the MTO

JugDriver-1.jpg

A few more.

Lt. Charles Teague 405th Fighter Group

CharlesTeague.jpg

Lt William Scott 405th FG

WilliamScott.jpg

Lt. William Crumley 405th FG

WilliamCrumley.jpg

Lt. Milford Nelson 405th FG

MilfordNelson.jpg

The one that started the quest for an RAF Type C helmet with taped in ANB-H-1 Receivers. Lt. Roy Johnnis in front of his F6 Mustang

RoyJohnnis-1.jpg

As a kid a long time ago, I found this photo in a drawer at my grandparents house. Imagine the joy of a WW2 aviation junkie in the making when this showed up. Was there a Mustang pilot in the family I didn't know about? Turns out there wasn't. It took me a long time to ID this guy. Turned out he was from a town near where my Grandparents lived and he'd flown F6 Mustangs with the 9th Air Force in the recce role. The Minnesota Air Guard unit had been federalized for the war and it was this unit he was with.

Later as a teenager, I visited the Minnesota Air Guard Museum and what did I see but this very helmet, goggles and mask on display. It was pure ETO fighter pilot to me and I had to have one. I saved my pennies and in those pre-internet days I asked around at shows and a tiny little militaria shop there was in town. Finally someone pointed me to a guy who had a beat up Type C he was willing to part with. The ear cups were cut off and there were no receivers or chin strap.. But I spent my money and I had it. This was probably 1978. It sat on the shelf looking forlorn for many years only making an appearance now and then for one of my kids history projects.

In was only a couple years ago that I started to see if there was a way to get it repaired and if so to find the goggles and mask to go with it. Turns out there is a guy in England by the name of Stephen Silburn who specializes in repro Type Cs and restoring them. He agreed to see what he could do. I sent it his way and it was at that point he confirmed it had never had the internal wiring so it was a USAAF used Type C.

He returned it in fantastic shape with new ear cups and a chin strap he had that was original. I found some ANB-H-1 receivers and an A14 mask with the adapter and bell plug often found on ETO helmets.

The wreck of my first Type C became my pride and joy after all those years. It's the untaped Type C i posted in that other thread.

Hi!

Very beautifull pics!!! Shows how big was the freedom of choice among the crews in terms of equipment! Great mix of british and Usa stuff!!!

Is incredible how high was the O2 mask hook on the Lt. William McKay flight helmet !

Thanks for sharing!

Best, Tiger

Earlier in my collecting career I acquired a set of about 15 b&w portraits similar to the above, of pilots the 56th FG. I no longer have them (someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse!) but I did loan them to Osprey Publishing whilst they were in my possession and some were reproduced in one of their many excellent aviation titles.

The one that started the quest for an RAF Type C helmet with taped in ANB-H-1 Receivers. Lt. Roy Johnnis in front of his F6 Mustang

Beautiful pics !

Lt. Roy Johnnis wears an US Army HBT coveralls. It is not usual for a fighter pilot !

Mathieu

Mackay has to be one of the coolest looking "fighter jocks" ive seen a picture of !!

thanks 38 !!!!

LB

• 6 months later...

Figured I'd bump this one back up with some additions to the fighter pilot collection and so I could get used to attaching photos instead of using photobucket! :)

Another from the 405th FG

post-68384-0-87939600-1398483336.jpg

Not sure of the unit but I believe this is a 9th AF Jug driver. Note the taped ear cups on his RAF Type C.

post-68384-0-28965600-1398483478.jpg

For the Navy guys.

Lt. Commander George Simmons, VBF-92

Not sure if this guy is a pilot or TBM crewman, but he's from VT-3. Looks about 15 :)

post-68384-0-28489000-1398483845.jpg

post-68384-0-39151600-1398483906.jpg

Lt. James Garrison 21st FG Mustang pilot dressed for the part. He flew Mustangs from Iwo Jima on the VLR Missions. I have his B-10 as the pride of my little collection.

post-68384-0-84010800-1398484339.jpg

An unnamed P38 pilot from the 71st FS, 1st FG. The image turned up in a copy of "Silver Wings-Class 44-D" from Williams Field, Arizona. I haven't been able to match him to any of the photos of the student 38 drivers in the book yet, but I'm still trying!

post-68384-0-85791200-1398484465.jpg

Another Jug pilot. His early RAF Type C helmet is interesting to me as I'm not sure what he's covered the receiver cups with. Doesn't look like the usual tape job.

post-68384-0-91073500-1398484830.jpg

One more for now. Lt Robert Pigg from the 479th FG, 8th AF. Thought it interesting he's wearing the gunner gloves with the trigger finger. Another 8th pilot wearing an RAF Type C. He was killed when he was hit by a passing B-26 after he bailed out of his Mustang when the engine failed.

post-68384-0-19850200-1398485043.jpg

Those are some great pic's of our fighter pilots.

I really like that last one. Damned good name for a Fighter aircraft!!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Yep. I keep my eye out for photos of WW2 fighter pilots. I prefer the anonymous ones as obviously they were in the majority who didn't get the headlines.

Trying to identify them becomes part of the fun.