US Army Recruiting Pictures

439th Signal Battalion

439th Signal Battalion

These images came from one of the early 1970's US Army recruiting booklets. As a kid, I used to pour through every detail and wish that I had everything shown.

Photos no longer available.

Those were also put up on the walls as a set of posters about two foot tall. As a kid in the late sixties and early seventies, I would always bug the local Recruiter into giving suff. I still have set that I got later in life. Here is the forth one I quess it is missing from the recruiting booklet.

439th Signal Battalion

Those were also put up on the walls as a set of posters about two foot tall. As a kid in the late sixties and early seventies, I would always bug the local Recruiter into giving suff. I still have set that I got later in life. Here is the forth one I quess it is missing from the recruiting booklet.

WOW!

I've never seen that one. Thanks for posting!

Ohhh I used to have that poster man, it was also a poster, got it back when it first came out from the Recruiteing Station near where I lived, it was opened around 1974, and moved aways away down the Avenue in 1978, I enlisted at it's new location the following year.

I was looking for this poster on E-Bay, but didn't see it, I did however get another one that I remembered as a kid, the Ride with the famous First Team (join the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood Texas) recruiting placard.

A topic discussing and showing a bunch of Army Recruiting stuff.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/141194-early-1970s-us-army-recruiting-placquards/

I only remember seeing them in frames in the recruiters office. Years later I bought a set of four pictures unframed. The one below,I talked the local recruiter out of in 1973, been everywhere with me my college dorm room, my first apartment, first home, and still hangs on the wall today.

I remember these too. Does anyone have them in high resolution? I would love to have them once again, I too poured over each detail until there was no detail left. Mine are long gone and torn up.

If you have them in high res would you send a set to

[email protected]

Thanks

Bob

Werent these published by Life magazine for the bicentennial in 1976?

I ve has all four of these framed in my office for years...

No, they are products of the Army Recruiting Command. The Span-Am model was a curator at the West Point Museum. You may be familiar with his book on WW1-WW2 field equipment. He is posed wearing each nation's stuff.

That's the one I mentioned in that Topic link, the one showing all the uniforms and related equipment items per Branch, it was as mentioned one that was in large metal form, couldn't buy it, way too big :( Maybe one day I be able to get in it's poster or placard form

No, they are products of the Army Recruiting Command. The Span-Am model was a curator at the West Point Museum. You may be familiar with his book on WW1-WW2 field equipment. He is posed wearing each nation's stuff.

Who's the Civil War Infantryman? They certainly picked the right fellow to model that period post-34986-0-70227600-1380666925.jpgHmm, I wonder if he was a Active Duty Old Timer, like when this photo session was done, what 1973 or there abouts, he was a E-8 or something and was allowed to grow a beard just for the occasion.

Memory is hazy, but I think the others were models hired by the ad agency then under contract to Recruiting Command. The USMA Museum curator, I believe, was a technical advisor.

I spyed this poster with the Infantrymen Down Through Time poster hanging on the wall in an episode of Barney Miller, a 1976 episode, it's on the wall right before the squad room john entrance :D

Yeah my friend across the street has this booklet, I would love to get a copy myself, I do remember this one well from those days.

While looking at these great photos, something occured to me.

post-34986-0-71695000-1381347770.jpg

See this photo above of the Airborne, note that at least one man has the Dollar Ninty Seven patch on, what unit in this, the 197th Inf Bde (sep) had a Airborne jump unit? there was a unit in the the Brigade's 29th Inf's 1st Battalion back in the Day, called the Bravo Rangers, they were a Jump Company IIRC?. I think the Bear might know he was there at Benning.

I am not aware of any Airborne element assigned/attached to the 197th Inf Bde. The picture of the "Airborne troops" running from the opened parachutes are probably stand-ins from the Brigade for the photo shoot. There was an element of the 1/29th Inf called Bravo Rangers whose mission was to provide OPFOR for the Ranger School but I don't think they were Airborne. (Ranger in name only).

In 1981 the 197th Bde was deploying to NTC and they needed jumpers so the Air Force could get mission training and pay for the flight. Since the Pathfinder Committee was on cycle break they took all of us Pathfinder instructors and put two jumpers per plane and we jumped into the NTC. Great jump and then they took us to Las Vegas that night and we flew out commercial in the morning back to Benning. AND we got TDY pay ... whata boondoggle!

Interesting note on the Ranger Training pictures. The Ranger with the mustache was in Alaska with me in the early 70s. I believe his name was Hagle (I may be wrong but it's been over 40 years). He graduated Honor Graduate in AIT and was promoted to SP/4. Then he graduated Honor Graduate from Airborne School and was promoted to SGT. Then he got Honor Graduate from Ranger School and made Staff Sergeant and was assigned as an Instuctor. He was an E6 in Alaska.

BEAR

Thanks for your detailed and intersting reply Bear, I knew since you had a Benning conection back in them days you would know. The Bravo Rangers, I thought they were aggessors for the Ranger Department, wasn't sure, we had one guy up in Alaska in my company 4/9th at one time who was one, but I can't now remember if he was Jump Qualified,(for me it's been less time than you, slightly over 30years :lol: ) probably not, as I think he would of been in Charlie Airborne, rather than Alpha, though he might of been off Jump Status, in any event, thanks again.

post-70300-0-71426700-1381572755.jpg

This is a booklet from the 1st/29th INF which was part of TSB at Ft.Benning in 1973-74. It was my old unit and we went back and forth to the 197th INF BDE a couple of times during that period. Our unit had companies from all of the different branches and supported all sorts of educational/training scenarios .Oh to be that young again...but not as foolish!

post-70300-0-14113300-1381573027.jpg

A and B Co's were Mech Infantry ( this might have been an experimental camo pattern as most of the tracks were plain OD)

post-70300-0-04415600-1381573073.jpg

D Co. was leg infantry

post-70300-0-68110100-1381573118.jpg

C Battery/83rd Arty

post-70300-0-65166000-1381573164.jpg

C Co /75th Rgrs supported the Ranger School training

So the 1/29th was assigned to the 197th but attached to TSB to support the school. Was C Co on jump status or just Ranger (there were LEG Rangers in those days)? The 1st and 2nd Ranger Bn. didn't come into existence until 1974.

When I was a Pathfinder instructor (78-83) we received all our vehicle, medical and driver support from the 197th. At that time there were no Airborne elements at all within the 197th.

I think C Company's role was filled by C Battery 83rd Artillery Bear, check out the unit designators on the rear area left of the heavy SP piece.

USIA

1-29 INF

83 FA (we can't see the C in front of 83 FA

Interesting stuff there 335th.

Found this site on C Co 75th Rangers, it seems it had a direct linage to the C Co 75th Rangers in Vietnam, and was active prior to the activation of the battalions, were I sure once this occured in 1974, C Co 75th Rangers was inactivated.

http://e20-c75th-rangers-association.org/forums/archive/index.php?t-3245.html

• 2 weeks later...

post-70300-0-46654000-1382487011.jpg

For those who may have been in C Co./75th Rangers at Ft Benning from 1973 through 74, here are some pics from the unit yearbook. The first is Cpt Petrie. He was the CO until later in 74 when he rotated out and Cpt Robert Howard took over.

post-70300-0-09987000-1382487201.jpg

Supply section. I was in Bn S4 and did a lot of dealing with Sgt Dowse. He was a stand-up, good guy. Sgt. Christian, their supply sgt. was ABN Qualified, but not Ranger. He also was a great guy.

post-70300-0-03740900-1382487355.jpg

post-70300-0-02379600-1382487499.jpg

post-70300-0-13369800-1382487553.jpg

post-70300-0-60284900-1382487604.jpg

post-70300-0-56423200-1382487670.jpg

post-70300-0-98938300-1382487817.jpg Had a few run-ins with some of these dudes, mostly Hershey and Peterson. They never did want to get really serious. Just our youthful braggadocio at work. Sgt Welke was a good guy.

Great group of photos 338, we see the unit sign C Company Airborne Ranger 1BN 29th Infantry, yet we see the guidon is C 75. Can you clarify, what was it's official title Co C 1st Battalion 29th Infantry or Co C 75th Infantry (Rangers)? Also we then take it that the C Co Rangers was the C Company of the 1/29 Inf rather than C Battery 83rd FA, would this be correct?