PA Keystone Unit DI Crest Based Medal PANG 28th Division?

WittWorldWide.com

WittWorldWide.com

Pennsylvania Keystone Artillery Unit Medal PANG PA 28th Division

Has anyone seen this one? Screams of PA related Unit Artillery, with a lineage from Civil War, Span Am, Mex. Border, and may have some Cavalry roots (Horsehead)... but may take a good DI (Unit Crest) guy to ID this one. I've run through the ASMIC Artillery Catalog, but to no avail... Nicely made and marked "Sterling" and what looks to be a Robbins "Flying R" mark, with an Original 1930s-40s brooch as best I can tell.

Any Idea What Unit is this??

Thanks, Rich

PAArtilleryUnitMedalox.jpgPAArtilleryUnitMedalrx.jpg

Perhaps something related to this unit? it has the some of same symbols as the DI in the recent linked topic, the Castle Keep and the Snake. plus the horses head on the medal may be that this unit before it became and Artillery unit was a Cavalry unit.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/183476-can-someone-id-this-28th-id-crest-please/

WittWorldWide.com

I did see the similarity to the 200th FA Insignia out of the ASMIC DI Book, but haven't been able to tie it any more directly... Thanks, RW

WittWorldWide.com

Mike,

Appreciate the ID, as I didn't get to the Cav. Catalog yet. The following will explain the Red Ribbon most likely, and possible date the medal as Post-1940....

Do you have any idea on significance of the 4 Shields on Cross Arms?

The 103rd Cavalry Regiment was a unit of the Pennsylvania National Guard that existed from 1921 to 1940, when it was re-designated the 190th Field Artillery Regiment.

The regiment was constituted in 1921 from the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment and had its headquarters in Philadelphia and later Tyrone. The regiment was assigned to the 21st Cavalry Division. The 103rd Cavalry provided relief assistance during floods in 1936. The regiment was relieved from the 21st Cavalry Division and assigned to the 22nd Cavalry Division in January 1939. On 23 September 1940, the regiment was converted to the 190th F.A. Regiment.

Thanks, Rich

Rich,

I don't have a date for the DUI variation. The regular 103rd Cav DUI was approved 1930. I second your guess that it may be post-1940 because the field artillery cannon is prominent. As to the four shields on the edge, I don't know. Perhaps they signify four subordinate battalions/squadrons of the regiment.

Mike