1918-1922 Seaman Signalman Rates

hhbooker2

Seaman Signal rates appear to be among the rarest rates of the United States Navy in the 20th century. They started using them in 1918 and by 1922 they were deleted from "United States Navy Uniform Regulations" as you can see in the scan of the page showing Seaman Signalman 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Class. Other seamen wore their ranks on their cuffs of one, two, and three stripes, but seaman wore what might be called strikers, it was not until the late 1940s that seamen were authorized their own rates of a diagonal stripe(s). Here is a rare look at the obverse and reverse for a Seaman Signalman 2nd Class, crossed white signal flags with two bars below on mavy blue wool cloth. thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker ( [email protected])

post-837-1208814163.jpg

post-837-1208814176.jpg

post-837-1208814191.jpg

Sarge,

This is the only one I have.

Jason

post-2501-1208815972.jpg

I don't believe that "Seaman Signalman was so much a "rate" as a speciality at that time. If I remember correctly, it was a special rating within the Quartermaster rating. Rated QMs wore the mark under their QM rating badges. Yes, seamen would wear it too, but I believe they were Quartermaster strikers also. Extra pay went with the flags, so good thing to have.

Steve Hesson (SMCS USN RET)

I don't believe that "Seaman Signalman was so much a "rate" as a speciality at that time. If I remember correctly, it was a special rating within the Quartermaster rating. Rated QMs wore the mark under their QM rating badges. Yes, seamen would wear it too, but I believe they were Quartermaster strikers also. Extra pay went with the flags, so good thing to have.

Steve Hesson (SMCS USN RET)

Yes, they are rare.

I agree with Steve's description.

-dan

post-769-1208870728.jpg