Brigadier General Frederic Ellis Davison, 199th Infantry Brigade, Vietnam

439th Signal Battalion

439th Signal Battalion

Several years ago, I was fortunate enough to acquire many items from the estate of General Frederic E. Davison, the former commanding officer of the 199th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam and later, the 8th Infantry Division in Europe.

General Davison began his distinguished career as a platoon leader and company commander in Italy as a Buffalo Soldier with the all-black 92nd Infantry Division and when he became the commanding officer of the 199th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam in 1969, he became the third black general officer in the history of the US military and the first black man to lead an infantry brigade in combat. Later on, he commanded the 8th Infantry Division in Europe, thus becoming the first black commander of an infantry division.

General Davison was a true soldier's soldier, respectable man, and competent leader, who inspired true hope and change in the ranks of the units that he commanded, and all that served under him remember Davison as one of the finest men to have ever worn the uniform of a United Staes Army soldier. Today within the Redcatcher Association of the 199th Infantry Brigade, he continues to be revered and respected. His actions (both in and out of combat) and concern for his soldiers were second to none and he was promoted upon the basis of his deeds and actions, not his skin color.

I earnestly wish that the African-American community would come to know and appreciate General Davison as a true American patriot, mentor, and role-model.

BG_Davison_edited-1_zps63a4837a.jpg

img492_edited-1_zps18cc9d6b.jpg

1146444_edited-1_zpse15d3405.jpg

1146445_edited-1_zps6425720a.jpg

576350624_o_edited-1_zpsd9144142.jpg

1146446_edited-1_zpsb78940a7.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

In August of 1969, Bravo Company of the 3-7th Infantry, 199th Infantry Brigade had been out on a operation in rice paddies and nipa palm groves around Can Giouc for weeks when they came tramping back into our battalion firebase. The grunts looked worn and haggard, many with the "thousand yard stare" look in their eyes.

Unknown to them, General Davison had come in earlier to check on and speak with those at battalion. As he was watching Bravo come into the perimeter, General Davison noticed one young soldier who had had his jungle pants torn to shreds. He immediately took his own pants off and gave them to the soldier in need.

SP4 Ray Moffitt

HHC 3-7th Infantry

69 - 70

robbie, you never cease to surprise me with the info you locate and post. when general davison left the brigade, he said to write to him at his next duty station, and he would try to get you the post you wanted. i wrote him a letter and his adjutant fixed it so that after i came home to benning with the brigade's colors, i was assigned in california, as i had requested. ft ord, near monterey. and i was only a sp/4, yet he did what he said he would.