My Favorite Map

bfryar44

This is my favorite map from my map collection.

"Top Secret Neptune Bigot" marked Omaha Beach assault map. Scale is 1:2,500 and shows Vierville Sur Mer clearly visable. This sector is where A Co, 116th RGT, 29th Inf. Division landed and was basically wiped out that morning on June 6, 1944.

Front
post-22-0-45158000-1406235604.jpg
The assault elements of the 29th ID were under the temporary command of the 1st ID for the initial assault.
post-22-0-37760200-1406235607.jpg

post-22-0-93109500-1406235609.jpg
Back

post-22-0-04084800-1406235612.jpg

post-22-0-20851900-1406235614.jpg

Thats cool. I have a thing for maps being an Infantryman and all. I have a few of Iraq that I might post some day if we ever get out of there.

• 3 years later...

I have Map 2 of this series, it's the "Vicinty of Le Ruguet" map. Le Ruguet is also known as Exit E-1 off Normandy Beach. I'd post photos of my map, but I can't find my memory stick.

Anyway, the back of the map, is titled "Martian Defence Legend". What is the meaning of the word "Martian" and why is "Defence" misspelled?

Tom

Johan Willaert
Iwhy is "Defence" misspelled?

It is the British English method of spelling defense...

These maps would have been drawn up in England

General Apathy

post-344-1272271398.jpg

This is my favorite map from my map collection.

"Top Secret Neptune Bigot" marked Omaha Beach assault map. Scale is 1:2,500 and shows Vierville Sur Mer clearly visable. This sector is where A Co, 116th RGT, 29th Inf. Division landed and was basically wiped out that morning on June 6, 1944.

Hi Bryan, nice to see your detailed map of a section of Omaha beach, being a section of the model shown below.

I have a unit history for the 654th Engineer Topographic Battalion, who made maps for Omaha beach, as Johan mentioned in post #4 of this thread these maps were made in England. In my mid twenties I went out with a girl who lived in Tetbury Gloucestershire where the 654th were based and maps of Omaha made and printed, so I have researched the village and the units locations using the book.

Shown here is a photograph of a large detailed three dimensional scale model ( from the unit history printed in Munich 1946 from photo's and text prepared by the unit ). The scale is 1:2,500 ( same scale as your map ) and a vertical scale of one inch to 68 feet. The model covered six miles of the beach and five miles inland, and it was used to brief troops that were to invade on D-Day.

In the bottom right photo it's possible to see seven men along the one edge of the model, so taking the width of the seven men then I assume the width of the model as 12 to 14 feet approximately.

All this work was done secretly in a loft ( used pre war to store malt hops ) behind a house in the village, funny really that everyday life was going on around the village with very little security for this important facility, there is a sign on the loft crediting the building with map making for D-Day.

Cheers Lewis

• 8 months later...

Hi, I see you were part of the 654th ETB and was stationed in my home town of Tetbury. I am looking for personal stories and photos of the time, if you have any would you be kind enough to contact me. I already own the 654th 'Book' and am in email contact with another member of the 654th whose name is Richard Paulus, do you remember him? He was one of the motor pool crew billeted at Chavenage House. Any info would be much appreciated. Vance

[/b]

post-344-1272271398.jpg

Hi Bryan, nice to see your detailed map of a section of Omaha beach, being a section of the model shown below.

I have a unit history for the 654th Engineer Topographic Battalion, who made maps for Omaha beach, as Johan mentioned in post #4 of this thread these maps were made in England. In my mid twenties I went out with a girl who lived in Tetbury Gloucestershire where the 654th were based and maps of Omaha made and printed, so I have researched the village and the units locations using the book.

Shown here is a photograph of a large detailed three dimensional scale model ( from the unit history printed in Munich 1946 from photo's and text prepared by the unit ). The scale is 1:2,500 ( same scale as your map ) and a vertical scale of one inch to 68 feet. The model covered six miles of the beach and five miles inland, and it was used to brief troops that were to invade on D-Day.

In the bottom right photo it's possible to see seven men along the one edge of the model, so taking the width of the seven men then I assume the width of the model as 12 to 14 feet approximately.

All this work was done secretly in a loft ( used pre war to store malt hops ) behind a house in the village, funny really that everyday life was going on around the village with very little security for this important facility, there is a sign on the loft crediting the building with map making for D-Day.

Cheers Lewis