LCI-220 Memorabilia

scottiques

This huge pennant (15' X 3") was sewn by crew members of LCI 220 prior to her homecoming in January 1945. The LCI was home for a refit in preparation for the Pacific War.

LCI 220 received National recognition when her photograph was used on the March 27, 1944 cover of LIFE Magazine.

LCI 220 participated in 5 major landing operations (5 gold stars) and had a crew of 22 (22 white stars).

The small newspaper that documents the flag is the "Lawley Built LOG" of January 30, 1945. The Lawley Company manufactured LCI 220.

In addition to this Pennant, I have numerous other items from LCI 220. I have photographs, invasion landing maps and the several original invasion landing after action reports, but the most interesting item is the original US Flag that flew on the LCI on the Gela Sicily landing. During that landing, LCI 220 ran aground on the beach, staying stranded for two days and subjected to constant air attack. Five crew members received the Silver Star for their actions during that time. The Flag is testament to the ferocity of the fight-- it has numerous bullet and shrapnel holes and still retains the smells of those days.

Scott

US Army (Ret)

post-124583-0-87837000-1379781245.jpg

post-124583-0-38563900-1379781275.jpg

That's very cool! I love these small ships! They never get the credit for their service like the larger ships.

Incredible that this still exists!

LF

That's very cool! I love these small ships! They never get the credit for their service like the larger ships.

Incredible that this still exists!

LF

Thanks LF-- the LCI story was new to me when I purchased the grouping 15 years ago.

The Sicily after action review that came with it is amazing! The LCI sat stranded on the beach and took considerable fire from German Aircraft.

The US ship flag bears testament to the tough fight endured by the ship. You can actually SMELL the battle on the flag.

Scott

US Army (Ret)

Scott,

Very nice.

You should post the whole grouping.

Who did it come from and what do the gold stars (The lost ?) stand for ?

The photos of the flag just make it all that much more significant.

Peter

The gold stars represent Invasion landings.

I'll post other items from the group as I can.

The group came from a Radio man on the ship. He joined the ship right after Sicily. He found the flag in a storage locker-- it was going to be destroyed. He decided to keep it and put it into his duffle bag. In the 1990s the man was put into a home and the family sold his estate. After I purchased the grouping, his daughter was kind enough to "interview" him for me and document the specifics on his involvement and acquisition of all of the items.

Scott