Military Order of the Carabao Medal

WittWorldWide.com

WittWorldWide.com

Anyone have a good handle on potentially dating and maker of this planchet...? BB&B did some of the early ones from my understanding, and I've seen some later Dondero stuff, but this is Not Marked. Not a current issue, nor a common item.

Also if anyone has some good pics to post of examples they have, or have had, it would be nice to see.

Thanks, Rich

Military Order of the Carabao:

The organization was founded in 1900 by U.S. officers stationed in the Philippines during the Philippine Insurrection that occurred after the Spanish-American War. The idea for a lampoon was conceived by several Army officers one night at the Army-Navy Club in Manila. This organization was founded to counter and satirize the Military Order of the Dragon, founded by other Americans who fought in the short-lived Boxer uprising in China. Only the Carabao survives today.

The carabao referred to in the organization's name is a domesticated water buffalo used as a beast of labor in the Philippines. The group's membership is referred to as "the herd" and individual members are called “bulls.” At each annual Wallow, the incoming Grand Paramount Carabao promises to "keep the herd well-wetted down."

MilOrderCarabaoPlanchetox.jpgMilOrderCarabaoPlanchetrx.jpg

Looks like an old one. Is the rim numbered? I am a member of the order and have one of the medals that dates from around 1910 and a current issue. The new medal has very different coloring, primarily in the carabao. Will post photos for reference it a bit.

Here is the older medal circa 1910. If your medal is numbered and you are interested in selling the piece, let me know as I would be interested. All the best. Joe

post-9107-0-70772200-1379856186.jpg

WittWorldWide.com

Joe, Appreciate the images. Just what I was looking for... This one is not #d, nor maker marked. Was pretty sure it was an older planchet. Is your 1910 #d? Also is there a maker mark on any of the components?

Do you have any rolls of recipients with medal numbers?

I'll let you know when it is avail. Thanks, Rich

No worries, happy to help. Mine is numbered on the bottom rim. I know you are missing the ribbon, are you also missing the cross bar with the volcano? This appears on both versions of the medal.