Full-size mannequins....pros and cons?

Sabrejet

No Ian what it is , is a stable diet of "Newkie Brune and stotties" that weigh the feet down ! so he stays upright all the time ! forgot to say he is also very posable !!! like a fullsize "GI Joe" :D

post-106122-0-30867700-1379359759.jpg

I have one of these and, other than the room it takes up, I haven't had a single complaint. Tall, but with thin proportions and, best yest, FLEXIBLE FEET! Supporting pole attaches to the the small of the back, so as long as you give it a stable stance, it will hold as much as you like (set it up like a tripod). I regularly open the closet behind mine, bumping into him every single time. It just wobbles and returns to the same position.

Cloth covered (soft) foam with flexible wire arms legs and fingers, you can throw this guy down the hallway and he'll be fine. Removable arms make putting on uniforms very convenient.

FLEXIBLE_MALE.jpg

I currently have a 1917 Eddystone slung over its shoulder, holds it like a good soldier.

Manne_zps5e729697.jpg

And to prove a point about the feet, yes, those are original WWI era Calvary boots, and they went on like butter.

P4110072_small_zps8ac6bf34.jpg

The ones with the facial features are a little creepy, I picked this one up second hand, best $60 I have spent in my collection!

http://onlymannequins.com/pages/Flexible-Male.php

I currently have 100 coat/shirt forms, 5 torsos, and 44 full mannequins, all of which are outfitted, plus another five full undressed mannequins in the attic. After 69 years of collecting I can only assume I have encountered about every display problem possible. My current problems are (1) I've run out of wall space in my display rooms to accommodate full mannequins, and (2) I've run out of coat/shirt forms. I would NEVER destroy a piece of history to achieve a proper display, but rather modify the form. The problem with the feet is easily overcome. Where full mannequins are concerned, the first lesson I learned is that you fit the uniform to the manne-quin, not the mannequin to the uniform. Why do I like full mannequins? Because they depict a piece of history in its correct form. Jack Angolia

Hi,

I've had several torsos and full sizes mannequins in my war room, but today no longer use for permanent exhibitions, only use for photos and / or short exposure.

The problem of the permanent use of this material is exposure to dust and moisture.

The uniforms willing can literally turn insects houses and the temperature variations can damage the leather that is stain the uniforms...not to mention the damage by light exposure.

Ricardo.

Does anyone have any issues with the mannequins that have the support rod that goes into the calf? I was wondering if it interfered with boots and blousing the trousers. If anyone has this style and some pics on how well it works that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike M

translation to English? ^_^

You mean translate into " Murican English"?! He's written "Newkie Brune" phonetically to mirror the accent/pronunciation of the north-east of England. It's the local slang for Newcastle Brown Ale...the famous dark beer. As for "stotties", they are a kind of round, flat, bread roll which are peculiar to the north-east and eaten with a variety of savoury fillings.

I have a few full sized mannequins and a number of torso forms. As mentioned before, getting shoes on full mannequins can be a challenge. Some folks I know have sawed off parts of the feet, which allows shoes/boots to slip on easier. Where that works, I like to have my mannequins stand on their own without bases and leg supports. I have found slightly larger shoes/boots will allow me to do this, even with full kit and slung rifle. The larger size boot is not noticeable/detracting. On occasion I also use wood wedges at the heel or toe (under the boot) to ensure stability. A larger concern for me is arranging hands to appear natural while, say grasping a weapon or piece of equipment.

Here is a mannequin story.

In the early 1980's I bought a large collection from a closet collector.

His collection was a hodge podge of real fake all on female mannequins.

Got it all home and started to sort it out.

Took uniforms off mannequins and got a call from my first fiance to go out.

Left everything where it was and took off to see Mary.

We went out with friends and stayed up late.

Got home late at night flipped the light on and there were naked women all over my room.

I had forgotten about the mannequins and for that one split second when the light went on they looked like real people.

My heart flipped.

No Peter they are just mannequins.

Yes for a split second I did think that.

How did you know ? :blush:

Funny name Ian.

Harrumph! I don't think "Ian" is a funny name at all. It's the Celtic version of "John" actually!! ;)

Harrumph! I don't think "Ian" is a funny name at all. It's the Celtic version of "John" actually!! ;)

I'm sorry Ian I wasn't referring to your personal name but the name you tagged me with.

Ian i have a better idea !! why not use one of my mannequins !! so much more realistic and most of the gear is made to suit him !!! :D

attachicon.gifDSCF3111.JPG

Curious, if you put the legs together, rather then splayed out, will he tip over?

Actually, I seen this same pose in the movie "Christmas Story", were Ralphies brother is all bundled up in a snow suit, arms and legs splayed out, can't move.

The head, will say, looks a little more realistic than the foam ones.

So, were did you stick the metal rod to support him?

I'm sorry Ian I wasn't referring to your personal name but the name you tagged me with.

I know that Peter! We Brits enjoy a good laugh. Remember...I'm from the country which gave the world Monty Python! :lol:

Curious, if you put the legs together, rather then splayed out, will he tip over?

Actually, I seen this same pose in the movie "Christmas Story", were Ralphies brother is all bundled up in a snow suit, arms and legs splayed out, can't move.

The head, will say, looks a little more realistic than the foam ones.

So, were did you stick the metal rod to support him?

Don't go there!! :lol: