My 30th Division Men

Garandomatic

In both of these cases, it isn't so much the uniforms as the men that wore them that made me want to post what I've found so far, especially after reading "Saving the Breakout" and picking up a reprint for only $50 of "The 30th Infantry Division in World War II: Workhorse of the Western Front."

I stumbled upon my first 30th Division uniform in the Summer of 2012 when I saw an ad on ebay from the vet's daughter. I always like these for the obvious reason that they are instantly ID'd as long as the family wants to respond to your email. The vet's daughter was very touched that somebody cared, and told me that although he died when he was fairly young and didn't talk much about it, she knew he was wounded. Sure enough, after some searching at www.newspaperarchive.com, I found an article confirming that with his picture to boot.

After some correspondence back and forth regarding his PH, which I'll pick up if it ever turns up, I got a package in the mail with a PH box and some miscellaneous ribbons and CIB inside that belonged to her step father, so I figured that CIB would make a nice donor. I would like to restore his ribbon rack, but his records were burned, and I don't know the number of battle stars and the like that he was entitled to.

Unfortunately, he isn't listed in the 30th DIvision roster, but given the source, I am certain of its identity.

post-9670-0-38409600-1378417804.jpg

His picture and wound info. This was one of my first finds in the newspaper archives, and since has been an invaluable tool, especially for small-town men, whose newspapers were happy to keep folks up to date about their boys overseas.

post-9670-0-40135000-1378418077.png

The other uniform came as a result of what I like to call ebay roulette. Now, I might have the money to find a really nice Silver Star or maybe even DSC uniform if I didn't do this, but I like the detective angle of rediscovering hidden history. If I see a nicely patched jacket that looks legit and is either sold by the family, is named, or has a laundry stamp, I jump if I can get it cheap, and then try to research it.

With this one, I jumped and got it for a good price, and started my search. Now, I would like to have the 30th to myself, since I've bought a few books about the unit recently, but they and a few other units are good bets for making a positive ID. This man was a 1st Sgt, which makes for a smaller pool, and his name began with a B. I wrote down everyone I saw with that rank and last initial, and then started cranking through their ASNs on the NARA AAD website, and about two from the end of my list, jackpot. Looked over on the WWII Memorial Register, and there was a very nice write up, including the information that he was wounded 7/30/44, and earned a Bronze Star. He is also listed in the 30th roster as being a member of A Co., 117th. Another search revealed a picture that, while not showing his face well, does show him looking over the Distinguished Unit Citation the 117th earned at St. Barthelmy just North of Mortain.

Now, there is a possibility that he was laid up in the hospital from wounds incurred on 7/30, which shows up in the reprint divisional book as "some of the bitterest fighting the 30th ever engaged in" in the vicinity of Tessy and L-Mesnil-Opac after crossing the Vire. However, the picture of him looking over the DUC paper for the actions at Mortain make me think he might have been there... if so, he was one of about 27 enlisted men in all of A Co. that were unharmed after the first day of the battle. The fighting was close to say the least, and they were nearly overrun by armor, having very few AT weapons of any kind. Best professor I ever had (full colonel in the artillery) said something to the effect of "God looks out for drunkards, children, and the US Army," but it was a bit more eloquent than that. I'd say some luck was on our side at St. Barthelmy, and all around Mortain.

My guy finished the war with the 30th according to the memorial registry, and apparently went home with the 103rd. The 103rd patch is what attracted me in the first place, since I'm working on a "one of every division" collection," and I like the 30th because of how cool it was to find things out about the man listed above.

post-9670-0-72309300-1378419256.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Love these! My grandfather served in the 119th Infantry after his time with the 76th mid July '45.

There are MANY great resources out there on these boys including a downloadable roster through their website. A great Division to specialize in!

The other thing, too, in addition to the ability to research them, is that the 30th was one heck of a unit. Roosevelt's SS! Every time the 1st SS Panzers came, the 30th knocked them cold. Three or four times the 30th virtually destroyed the 1st SS. Lots of probability for intense combat when researching something from this division.

• 2 years later...
Garandomatic

Figured I'd post an update! The first man, Ovis L Bender mysteriously appeared in the roster tonight! Based on a document i have, i think he was in the 119th infantry.

Just a heads up, as it appears they are working on the rosters all the time.

respectingthesacrifice

Interesting, I always thought that research on ID militaria is the most interesting part of collecting

Didn't know the newspaperarchive, thanks for this

Eric

BILL THE PATCH

Saving the breakout is an excellent book, highly recommend it. Great uniforms!!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Garandomatic

Couple of other updates. Binfield didn't happen to be at Mortain, having been wounded before and in the hospital, but he stayed with the 117th throughout the rest of the war.

Bender was a replacement, having been drafted in June of 1944, and was likely with the 30th for the Bulge. He was wounded January 13, 1945 in a push toward St. Vith. I don't know of his later activities, but I feel pretty certain that he rejoined the 30th and came home with them, as his final pay voucher lists the return date as August 19, 1945, which happens to be that of the 30th Division as well. I couldn't believe my luck when he showed up after all these years!

Garandomatic

A somewhat recent addition to my 30th Division collection is the uniform of Captain Quentin WH Robb who commanded the weapons platoon of C Company, 117th at Mortain...

This was acquired by a good buddy of mine, and even though he liked it, he agreed to part with it. Robb is featured in the book "Saving the Breakout," largely from the after-action reports. At St. Barthelmy, A Co. and C Co. were overrun by tanks... Robb counted 18 as they passed, hoping to open up on the accompanying infantry. The 18th tank stopped and spotted their CP, and Robb and a few others got the hell out of Dodge. The Company being in disarray, he linked up a platoon of B Co. with the remains of C Co. and held the position for two hours. In this action, Charlie Co. lost most of its command, and Robb took over command of the Company.

Robb was WIA on October 7, 1944 aroun Aachen by a severe concussion from artillery fire shortly after being mentioned by none other than Richard Tregaskis in a dispatch. According to the men that Tregaskis spoke with, Robb was "the coolest officer they had ever seen when under fire."

Here's his uniform. The ribbon bar is not 100% correct, but it is a decent stand in for the moment.

post-9670-0-18630500-1469109304.jpg

Garandomatic

Me too. Just one of those that i couldn't live without. Definitely a hardcore Old Hickory man.

Thanks for the compliments!

• 3 months later...

Found another one at OVMS Wilmington, and bought it as it was named. Lo and behold, he was a 2x bronze star recipient from the 119th Infantry. Got home and began research, and his obituary has a significant amount of text from his Bronze Star Citation... I think I need to find a V... (ribbons are replacements, but there was a partial bar on it when I bought it.).

His actions are as follows:

" Duane served honorably in the 119th Infantry Regiment in the US Army during World War II including fighting in the pivotal Battle of the Bulge. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for "Heroic achievement in action on November 29, 1944 in Germany. In spite of intense artillery, mortar, and machine gun fire from the enemy, Sergeant Rodgers crawled 30 yards in front of friendly lines and rescued a wounded man that was lying helpless in front of enemy fire. Sergeant Rodgers' brave action was responsible for saving the life of his wounded comrade and merits high praise."

That's a great pickup. I'd been planning on driving out to that area and stopping by Wilmington while I was there, but it didn't pan out. Hope you got a few other goodies, too.

As for the V device, I wouldn't even bother. It looks fine as is, and I've rarely seen that device used on period jackets, even though it was authorized by 1945. When I restored a recent valor BSM jacket, I used a plain ribbon because of the overall lack of period photos showing the V device being used before 1948-ish.

• 7 months later...
Garandomatic

B Company commander Edward R. Friday wwii be joining the crowd shortly... Gotta love Wilmington OVMS show!

Garandomatic

Here he is, Captain Edward R. Friday. I have a lot to figure out about his service. He was wounded very early on when the DIvision crossed the Vire on July 7, 1944. I think it put him out of action entirely with the Division. The rosters only give him credit for Northern France, and list his injury as "LWB", which I think is lightly wounded in battle?? Might have been a million dollar wound, as there isn't much out there about him like there was with Robb. Regardless, it's an honor to have both the B and C Co. commanders of the 117th in my collection.

Here's something from the unit's history:

"At 4:30 A. M. July 7th, 1944 the Vire River crossing was made and the initial battle to break out of the Normandy beachhead was underway. Company "B" led the First Battalion across the Vire River and Baker Company continued the lead in the rainy attack toward Les Landes east of Saint Jean-De-Daye. Late in the afternoon Captain Edward R. Friday, Company "B" Commander, was wounded and Lieutenant Daniel L. Sullivan, Jr. assumed command.

By nightfall Company "B" and the remainder of the 117th Infantry had firmly established its bridgehead. The Germans counterattacked but were repulsed. On July 9 the Germans counterattacked again, combining infantry and tanks from the Panzer Lehr Division. Again they were repulsed with heavy losses."

From http://www.30thinfantry.org/unit_history_117.shtml

post-9670-0-41665300-1497817122_thumb.jpg

Garandomatic

The brass and CIB are all courtesy of good deals at Tarbridge's table. I plan to give him a ribbon bar consisting of the Purple Heart, American Campaign, and EAME with one star. I've more or less scoured the resources I know of, including the unit history, so if anyone has an idea on finding more out about Friday, please let me know.

Garandomatic

Thanks man. I collect a little bit of everything, honestly. Lots of good stories to uncover! A lot of the time I'll read a good book and spark another area on interest. Oddly enough, I read Band of Brothers several years before the series and I have yet to acquire anything airborne that I could research!