I'm looking for some information on this Knife possibly a Merrill E Brown knife

ctyankee

Identification ?? US ARMY cast aluminum handle eagle and shield no markings

If anyone knows anything about this knife please let me know. It is about 13.5 inches overall length, with an 8 inch blade. No markings anywhere that I can see. Thanks.

army1_zps6f8aab33.jpgarmy4_zps89a91fcf.jpgarmy5_zps8015a8f2.jpgarmy2_zpsb4c91c45.jpgarmy8_zps9ef1fbe6.jpg

Identification ?? US ARMY cast aluminum handle eagle and shield no markings

If anyone knows anything about this knife please let me know. It is about 13.5 inches overall length, with an 8 inch blade. No markings anywhere that I can see. Thanks.

army4_zps89a91fcf.jpg

--------------------------------

According to Bill Wright's book "Military Theater Knives of WWII" (p. 122), it should say "ARMY KNIFE," instead of "US ARMY." Whether this is a variation, or a copy, that would be up to someone that knows a lot more about these knives than me. If it is a Merrill E. Brown knife, it's rare and worth over $1,500, going by what Bill & Debbie Wright say on their book.

Good luck!

If my father found out it was a Merrill E Brown Knife he would have said something to me about it. Since he didn't I would have to guess that it's a copy or at very least he was never convinced that it was the real deal. If I could see one of the originals I could make the determination wether or not to pursue this any further.

I've heard about the Bill Wright book, but I'm not sure I want to put out the $50.00 only to find out that there are no pictures or enough data to prove one way or another what this knife really is. I appreciate your input and I'm sure in time the mystery will be solved. Thanks again for the information.

Gary

I found the Cole book. I guess the problem isn't the handle it's the blade. From the pictures they showed the blade is supposed to be a single edged almost a bowie looking blade. The handle looks to be an exact match. That's encouraging!

Merrill-E-Brown_zps48909779.jpg

Still-A-Marine

The thing I think Cole shows in his book is that these knives didn't always have the same blade pattern. I think your knife is the real deal. Hopefully Frank Trzaska will chime in on this on.

Bill

Patchcollector

I found the Cole book. I guess the problem isn't the handle it's the blade. From the pictures they showed the blade is supposed to be a single edged almost a bowie looking blade. The handle looks to be an exact match. That's encouraging!

Merrill-E-Brown_zps48909779.jpg

ZoomButt.gif

Wow,New Albany Indiana.Interesting.My Father was born and grew up around there.It is a small town so he probably knew the Brown family.

Here are some pics of my Merrill Brown you can compare yours too. I have shown this to a number of collectors and all believe that it is correct. The oxidation on the grip and patina on the blade seem consistent with the age. I found out that the blades on these Brown knives vary considerably and some are pretty plain like the double edged one I have. The cast grip however should match and were pretty good quality. I suspect the measurements should match, my guard is a little over 3 5/8" and the length of the grip is 5 5/8". The blades vary, this one is about 8 3/8". Not sure if they all have the decoration on the top of the eagle, but this one has a red plastic or glass inlay on the eagle head. Hope this information may be of some help to you, good luck.

post-93122-0-75688600-1378054452.jpg

post-93122-0-45343600-1378054490.jpg

rcranch,

Thanks so much for posting these great pictures of your knife. After seeing your knife, and checking out the dimensions of the handle I would have to conclude that my knife is legitimate. I have a couple concerns one is that red glass or plastic inlay on top of the eagles head. My knife doesn't have it, but as you said it may not be on all of these knives. The top of the eagles head on my knife is completely smooth. Unfortunately someone wrote the numbers 457 in magic marker (must be permanent ink) since my father decided to leave it there, I guess that I'll do the same. another concern is the blade. I see that yours has a bevel to it where it meets the handle, and mine goes in straight, but again as you said "the blades vary considerably on these Brown Knives". Here's couple more angles of my knife to look at.

Brown1_zps403268ad.jpg

brown6_zps320e82c1.jpg

brown4_zps8e44c8fe.jpg

Hi

In the picture it looks like there is something that looks like sanding or grinding marks where the casting seam should be. They are for sure lighter, it may be there was a seam there and someone welded with a different welding rod than the handle material. There are some pretty rough areas under the beak, it is kind of hard to believe that the rough areas would not have gotten smoother after 45+ years.

Dennis aka nifman

Frank Trzaska

Those are some pretty hard to find knives. Both have all the traits of the originals for sure but would need to hold them in my hands to be sure... Want to sell them?? :)

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Hi Frank, You seem to be somewhat of an icon around here. I am honored to have you visit my humble thread. To answer your question "Everything is for sale for the right price".

Gary

• 1 year later...